1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best all around 9mm?
and
What is the best all around .45?

For the .45 I was looking at a 1911 or Sig 220...
For the 9mm I was looking at a Sig 226 or G17...

I have shot, but never owned, handguns. I've done some research, but was looking for some more hands-on info from people owned or shot alot. Im just looking for helpful opinions and information.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
:arrow: Im not the expert on the pistols you mentioned but you seem to be looking at the best. Sig. makes excellent pistols. I dont own a glock but have the xd-45 and xd-9 and both are excellent in my opinion. I recently purchased a new model FNP-45 and really like it. I hope to convince my wife i really need and sig 226-.40 soon. :roll:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Im pretty new to everything. I saw some previous posts on people asking similar questions and looked these particular pistols up. I know the basics of everything, but when it comes to all the technical stuff im still learning.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My advice is to gain a little more experience in handling and shooting various pistols. Handguns are very subjective - what I prefer may not do anything at all for you - which is "best" is relative.

You are fortunate to have so many really good designs to choose from. The problem is that you have so many really good designs to choose from.

You could not go far wrong with any of the pistols you listed, but find something that just seems to fit your hand, and is what you want. You can only do this by handling variouys pistols and shooting as many various types as you can.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your search.

mark

·
Registered
50 Posts
There are a number of good guns out there in both 9mm and 45, but depending of your experience, what is best for me may not be best for you.

Do you want a single action, double action, double action only, etc., high capacity (big grip), a concealed carry gun, and on and on.

I personally like Glocks, Walther PPK types and 1911 semi autos. Glocks are soft feeling when fired and the polymer frame soaks up a lot of the recoil force. The Walther is just something I like in a small auto and of course, the old standard Government 45. (1911)

Each of them operates differently and requires practice to get familiar with them. If I "had" to pick just one for both calibers it would probably be a Glock 19 (9mm) and a Glock 21sf (45). They are reliable, reasonably accurate and not too expensive. Others like the Springfield XD (doesn't fit my hand as well), but it is a good gun.

Having said all that, unless you are locked into a semi-auto, don't ignore revolvers. Depending on your needs, there are hundreds of revolvers out there that can serve you well.

I suggest you rent or borrow as many different types of handgun as you can, shoot them and then make a decision. As you can tell, I don't believe there is "one best" gun in any caliber.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Re: re: Best 9mm and Best .45?

Pistolero said:
The best?

Sig 226 and Sig 220.
Please, we both know that the best are G17 and G21 :wink:

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Re: re: Best 9mm and Best .45?

Wizzard7 said:
Rev. said:
Pistolero said:
The best?

Sig 226 and Sig 220.
Please, we both know that the best are G17 and G21 :wink:
Um, you sound a little biased, maybe.... :roll:
Perhaps a little :wink: :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
My preference is both JMB designs.

As far as the 45acp, it would be one of the Kimber 1911 series. I have 2, one is a full-size Royal the other a Ecilpse Pro II, love them both. Out of the box accuracy, dependable and has all the bells and whistles at a fraction of the cost of Wilson, Novak, Yost, etc...

The 9mm it is the Browning High Power. Over the years I have had several, but stupid me ( :roll: ) I get bored with them, sell them, then have to try and find another when I realize that it is "THE" pistol for me! Simple in design yet accurate and dependable. One of the first if not the first to realize the importance of ergonomics of design, the gun feels like the natural extention of my hand.

The nice thing about both is that they carry exactly the same so there is no confusion in handling them under stress.

With that said, if you're new to pistols I would recommend a "Double Action Only" for ease of training, handling and safety. The DAO pistol is as close as you can come to a revolver in a pistol. The thing that I like about that action is the only thing that you have to think about is point and squeeze the trigger.

In that case I would recommend then the Kahr P series pistols both in 9mm and 45acp. My daily carry is a Kahr TP9 with one backup magazine, I like it for is it's thin profile, light weight, and low maintance (s/s and polymer) makes it ideal (in my opinion) for everyday carry. When I know that I'm going into a area where there is a better then likely chace of problems, then I carry either the Ecilpse or the HP for their superior firepower (bullet mass or numbers) and not concern myself with their inferior (to the Kahr's) concealibility.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The best in the conservative price class is ,
9mm- Stoeger/ Beretta Cougar, in the 1911 45 ACP Rock Island Armory Tactical model. Both will shoot better than you can at a price you can afford !!!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would just add that I agree with the previous poster who said the Browning Hi-Power is a gun that just seems to fit my hand like it was made to be there and hits pretty much anything I point it at. It is one sweet gun, so long as you don't mind a single action/double action pistol.

As for the Model 1911 style of gun, you might want to have a look at this month's edition of Field & Stream. They have a two-page chart showing the history and development of that gun that tells a story of a basic gun design that has survived and flourished over its 100 year history. Makes you want to go out and buy another one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got to add my name to the list of those who've said:

• 1911-A1, .45 ACP
  • Browning High Power, 9mm

They've both been around for an awfully long time for a reason, and they aren't going to leave any time soon.

Having said that , the Springfield XD(M) is pulling at my heart-strings in a mighty big way. Although I'm very familiar with the 1911 frame, I must confess that I don't know as I've ever felt a more comfortable grip, in my hand at any rate, than the XD(M).

·
Registered
231 Posts
There is no BEST of any firearm!!!!!!!! :roll:

Too many individuals and needs involved. They are all designed and built for a reason.

Find the firearm that coincides with YOUR reasons for buying/carrying one.

That will be the BEST for you and your circumstances....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't say "best" for you, but for me I am very enamored of the ones I own. In 9mm I have a 2nd gen Glock 17 and a SigSauer P228. I have carried both on duty for years and they are awesome pistols. In .45ACP I have a Glock 21 that is my current duty gun (I am fortunate enough to be allowed to carry anything I want to within reason). The G21 is a 1st gen with night sights that performs flawlessly.

Even though you didn't ask, I carry 230gr Winchester Silvertips in the G21 and have a 12 round magazine of Glaser Safety Slugs as well. The 9mm ammunition is Federal Hydra-Shok 115gr.

I am a huge Glock fan and I also appreciate Smith & Wesson, Sig and Walther. I want a Walther P22 rather badly as a training weapon for both myself and the kids and as an all around fun gun.

·
Registered
297 Posts
With the choices you gave for the .45 I'd easily go with the Sig. The ergonomics are far superior than the 1911, and even though I am a 1911 owner and shooter, the Sig is more reliable. (I know I'll catch flack for that from die hard 1911 fans, but it's true.) :mrgreen:

As far as 9mm, the G17. No gun has been as tested and abused as the Glock, and it always comes up winning.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is just a test entry. I keep getting notified that this thread, to which I've subscribed, has been updated but when I check it out there is nothing new added. If fact, if I'm not mistaken, it seems that posts are being lost from the end of the thread. The moderators may want to check this out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.