Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my XD and when I shot in low light I didn't like the sights that much. I'm looking at tru glows TFO sights. Are there any others I should be looking at I am open to all suggestions.
Thanks...

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have TFOs and Meprolight on my current guns, in the past I have had a couple of other brands with tritium inserts. They have all been satisfactory for me though the TFOs are the bulkiest and may be a little more prone to breaking or catching on something, at least in theory. I would pick what appears to be best for you, what I like may not fit your style as well.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
born2lose11 said:
Just got my XD and when I shot in low light I didn't like the sights that much. I'm looking at tru glows TFO sights. Are there any others I should be looking at I am open to all suggestions.
Thanks...
OK, I'll give you, 'the skinny' short and sweet:

Tru-Glo TFO's are considered to be a, 'gun gamesman' sight. They tend to be fragile and have a very poor guarantee (and even worse customer service). They do work; and are a decent variable light pistol sight. If you don't have a serious use for your pistol sights, and always remember to be careful to keep gun cleaning chemicals away from the acrylic vials then you should be all right using TFO pistol sights.

I don't know any, 'serious pistolero' who uses Tru-Glo sights on his carry weapon (and I know a lot of, 'serious pistoleros'). As for Meprolight and Trijicon? They're about equal. The Meprolight pistol sights are the brightest; the Trijicon appear to be less bright and, maybe, a little smaller - Which is NOT a bad thing for shooting under variable light conditions.

I've got Meprolight sights on all of my Glock pistols. They're OK; although they're, also, too bright for shooting quickly in the full dark (without a tac light); and I have found Meprolight sights to be difficult to track a moving target with through varying patterns of light and dark. In fact, one night, I actually lost my target for a few moments as it moved towards me through areas of varying light and shadow. The target was moving fast. If I had fired at the exact moment I lined up my brightly glowing Meprolight front sight then I would have missed clean.

This event taught me that when it comes to night sights there really is such a thing as too bright! 'Night sight' is, also, a misnomer. What these sights actually are is, 'LOW LIGHT' pistol sights. They do NOT work well in either the total dark, or across varying shades of light and dark. Still, probably, because of alliteration everybody continues to call them, 'night sights'.

Two of the very best pistol, 'night sights' on the market are (1) Richard Heinie's, 'Slant-Pro, Straight Eight'; and (2) AmeriGlo's, 'Hackathorn' pistol sights. You'll pay a little more for the Heinie, 'Straight Eights'; but I've, yet, to meet any owner who didn't like using them. The AmeriGlo, 'Hackathorns' are, probably, going to be my next set of, 'night sights'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tst-D66HYzg&noredirect=1

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sa-xd-xd-m ... s-g22.html

If you phone either Heinie or AmeriGlo they'll walk you through choosing the right set of sights (with the correct front sight height and width) for your XD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.