Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 20 right now, soon I'll be applying to MD State Troopers. I was just curious...what most police officers use as a backup weapon?

I've heard many use a Walther PPK or PPK/s, holstered at the ankle?

Any police officers out there with some suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When I carried a BU it was the same cal as the primary. It was also my off duty gun so it had some heft as well.
I carried on the ankle about two days and then the holster went to another newbie.
If you are going to carry on your ankle, wait and ask around as many have started to but none have stayed with it so there are usually a lot of them around, cheap.

Wait until you are in the academy or later as some depts I should say most if not all have specific equipment that you are issued or that you are authorized to carry on duty, primary and BU. You should be able to find out what the issue weapon(s) are and if you want practice with the same guns etc.
But make sure that the dept doesn't issue so you don't have to buy your own.

UF

·
Registered
159 Posts
If I were you I would ask a MD State Trooper what he carries for backup. Of course let him know that you are going into the academy, I don't think they like it when random young men start asking about their guns. The department may issue something. Ask if it is allowable to carry something of your own choosing rather than the issued gun. I am not LE, my two best friends are and through them, I am acquainted with quite a few LE officers. If the department issues Glocks, then the logical choice is a sub-compact Glock in the same chambering. That is what most of the officers I know use simply because their duty weapon is a Glock. Others I know use KelTec P-11 9mms and the P-3AT .380 ACP and there are always the J frame S&W snubbies. Michigan State Troopers carry a S&W 640 in their trouser pockets as a backup. I am unsure of the ammo they use. I have a 640 and it isn't all that light for pocket carry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.