Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to reload some 9mm and possibly 40. I am mainly shooting some local competition. Just curious what brand of powder most people are using. Any input will people a great help.

G

·
...just started loading for 9mm recently. I try and keep my powder selection limited to as few brands as possible. I use Unique or Bullseye for everything in pistol. I only shoot my cast bullets, once in a great while for jacketed. I load most common calibers, both rifle and pistol. You'll hear that some powders burn cleaner than others.... I clean my toys after every outing anyway. By shooting cast reloads they're gonna get dirty, period.

As for the "Best" powder to use. You'll have to be the judge of that.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I use whatever I can ge the cheapest. In the 9mm I have used Winchester 231 and Action Pistol; Hodgdon Clays, Universal Clays, HS-6, and Titegroup; Alliant Bullseye, Power Pistol, Unique, American Select, Red Dot, and Herco; and Accurate Arms No. 2 and No. 5 all with satisfactory results. I do not own a 9mm firearm at the moment though that may change again in the future as ammo and component prices are rather high.
In the 40 S&W I have used the same powders as above along with Winchester WSF and Alliant Blue Dot. Now, I mostly use whatever shotgun powders I have on hand for handguns as that helps to keep my powder inventory in check and I buy these powders in bulk so get the best price.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Re: re: Best Powder to use?????

uglydog said:
........Now, I mostly use whatever shotgun powders I have on hand for handguns as that helps to keep my powder inventory in check and I buy these powders in bulk so get the best price.
There it is in a nutshell..... the range of burn rates for shotgun powders and almost all handgun calibers have considerable overlap. Very simply, 3 powders ought to cover all your needs:

Hodgdon Clays, Alliant Red dot, or any other powder with a similar burn rate for a "fast" powder.... primarily for light "plinking" loads.

Hodgdon Universal Clays, Alliant Unique, or similar for a "medium" powder.... for loads that will "make major" in competition, or for general woods packing or concealed carry use.

Hodgdon H110, Alliant Blue Dot, Alliant 2400, or similar for a "slow" powder.... for use in Magnum calibers with heavy bullets and "full-house" loads for big game hunting.

The "slow" powders would have little use in 12 gauge shotshell loads, with the exception of very heavy shot charges at breathtaking velocities. My shoulder isn't interested in finding out. For the 20 and 28 gauge guns (and the .410), though, a slow powder is the ticket for a "normal" load.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For the handloader, the general rule of thumb for achieving highest velocities is to use faster burning powders with lighter bullets and slower-burning powders with heavier bullets.
For instance, a Nosler 135-grain bullet shot in a H&K USP .40 S&W with a 4" barrel developes significantly more muzzle velocity (1,227 fps) with faster burning Universal powderthan with slower-burning WSF (689 fps) powder. However both powders develope about 1,000 fps of velocity with the spear 180 grain gold dot bullet.
Maxium velocity, though, is not always the handloaders goal. In the .44 magnum, a 200 grain bullet is much more pleasurable to shoot with 10.5 grains of fast burning Winchester 231 than 28.0 grains of slower-burning H 110. So pick your powders based on the shooting chores you have in mind.
This is why i like to have a lot of different powders in 1 lb containers. Selected hand gun powder i try to stock are as follows.
Fast burn: Alliant Bullseye,Hodgon Titegroup, Winchester 231.
Medium burn: Alliant Unigue, Alliant power pistol, Hodgon HS-6
Slow: Alliant 2400, Hodgon H110, Imr 4227

Surely there are plenty others,from different manufactures.

Md Smiths reloading pages has a powder burning rate chart on his website. It shows the burning rates of different powders from Fastest to slowest. Also i have my hands on Winchesters powder rate chart that also shows the faster and slower burn rates of thier powder.
This should start you in some sort of direction concerning the type of shooting your going to do.

The 40 S&W works at about the same pressure as the 9mm luger. With greater usable capacity and morebore area, the 40 S&W can launch substanitially heavier bulletsjust as fast.
Universal,3N37,Wap,N350 and No.9 are good powder choices for the .40S&W.

No.7 was specifically designed for the 9mm luger, and its performance is most impressive.

I hope this helps your reloading chores, Stay safe, Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.