Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some expert advice. I plan on buying a Civil War replica
of a Colt 44 caliber revolver. I would like to know what I will need to shoot this gun. I need just the basic facts on where I would buy the necessary ammo and what is involved in shooting it. If you need more info, let me know. maybe their is a web site with all the information I need. Thank you.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: re: Black Powder Revolver

citizendonny said:
thank you wwb for the web site. How in the world did the soldiers load and fire these with any speed? it looks like it took awhile to load and then shoot these revolvers.

Officers and Cavalry were about the only ones who carried revolvers.. During the War between the States it was not uncommon for them to carry 4 or 5 of them in combat.

·
Registered
640 Posts
As mentioned, one needs only a few items to shoot one of these gins.
1) percussion caps to ignite the powder charge
2) FFFG black powder or the equivalent substitute. The number of "F"s determine how finely ground the powder is and pistols generally need it finer than rifles of an equal caliber.
3) lead balls. These will be slightly larger than the bore diameter (example: .451" ball for a .44 caliber bore) as the excess will be sheared off to help seal the cylinder. It will also make the use of a patch impossible.
4) some sort of material to seal the rest of the cylinder. I use Crisco food shrotening to fill the remainder of the cylinder once it is loaded, though others use specific greases meant for the job. This serves two purposes; first the material helps keep the powder fouling soft which helps keep pressures down and most importantly, prevents a chance spark from firing one cylinder from setting off one or more of the other cylinders - what is known as chain firing.
When you look to purchase a gun, pick one with a steel frame. The brass framed ones are weaker and do not stand up to a lot of use, eventually the brass will stretch and become unsafe to use. I also would look at a .36 caliber rather than the .44 as one can often find 000 or 0000 buckshot to use at a lower price than the .36 cal round balls. It also is cheaper to shoot as it uses less lead and powder. For cleaning, I use the tried and simple hot soapy water. Take the gun down fully, remove the stocks, and immerse in a sink full of hot soapy water. Take a proper sized brush to the bore untill it is clean and do the same to the rest of the gun with an old tooth brush. Rinse all the pieces in a pot of plain hot water and remove to dry. The deat will cause the water to eveaporate in short order so drying is not needed. Lightly oil the gun and reassemble.
I have Colt 1860 and 1847 Walker replicas and they are a ball to shoot. If I were to do it over again, I would get a Remington patent as the frame is all one piece and changing out the cylinders is much simpler. Both saw Civil War usage and are historically correct.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: re: Black Powder Revolver

huntswithdogs said:
They carried extra loaded cylinders.

HWD
HWD

No one ever carried an extra loaded Colt cylinder. Plenty carried extra loaded Colts. Ever try to knock out a wedge and change a cylinder... on a horse?

Wisent

By the way, what do you hunt with dogs? I have a Brittany for birds and Lacy's for hogs. The Lacy's are really good with cattle, too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What you need to know about a black powder anything is that after shooting in needs to be ENTIRELY DISASSEMLED -- as in down to the last screw -- and washed in soap and water.

If you like taking guns apart and putting them together, this is your hobby! But lots of people get into black powder not realizing what it takes to clean one.

·
Registered
122 Posts
" needs to be ENTIRELY DISASSEMLED" for cleaning.
Respectfully, I disagree. I use the simpler method suggested by UglyDog. I have a .36 that I have been shooting and then cleaning that way for years. It has not a spot of rust on it.
Pete

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.