25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How shoots them
what do you have & whats your load
I shoot B/Powder with a ruger Old Army using 18 gr FFF
plus filler.
I have two of these guns
My latest Ruger I bought was from a deseased estate
Paid $400.This gun must be seen to appreciate it.
It is is in 99% new cond,it is 90% Engraved with checked grips
I think I got a steal.
I should post a photo of it,if in fact I can find out how to post a the photo.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I shoot several blackpowder guns. For handguns I have a Pedersoli replica of the .44 cal. 1860 Colt Army revolver. I generally shoot Hodgdon's Pyrodex in it rather than blackpowder. It is a little cleaner and I can get a few more shots through it before cleaning. Pyrodex is substituted for blackpowder by volume and not weight. I cut a measure down to the weight of blackpowder I wanted and then just use the same measure for Pyrodex. I also have an original flintlock, smooth bore .60 cal. single shot horse pistol made in the late 1700s-early 1800s from some unknown source. I use 35-50 grs of FFG in that. I have a couple of derringers, one is a .44 cal single shot replica and the other is a .31 cal double barrel. It .44 uses around 30 grs of FFFG and the .31 gets 25 grs. I'm currently looking at a 1858 New Army Police replica in .36 cal. I like the .36 and smaller guns as one can use buckshot (0000 in this case) as the round ball. This is less than half the cost of buying the actual balls and about a quarter more expensive than casting my own. I also use solid cooking shortening to seal the cylinder fronts against chain firing. This is much cheaper and just as effective as using the special made greases.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts