Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The forcible citizen disarmament lobby, apparently finding itself on shaky ground Constitutionally, is increasingly relying on "public health" arguments to support its agenda of onerous gun laws. Manifestations of this trend run the gamut from "studies" linking gun ownership to suicide, to the growing trend of medical personnel asking patients about guns they own, to the National Institutes of Health funding research into whether teenagers carrying guns and drinking alcohol increase the risk of "gun violence."

Give the gun prohibitionists some credit, though--they certainly are creative. Recently, Chicago Sun-Times columnist Sue Ontiveros came up with what might be the most . . . novel "public health" argument against guns--that guns are forcing kids to become couch potatoes. In "Childrens' fitness another casualty of random gunfire," she begins by talking about all the walking she did as a child, but says that she now understands why parents would be reluctant to allow their kids to play outside, out of fear of "gun violence":

I wish I could tell Chicago parents to send their kids outdoors, make them walk to school. But in good conscience, I can't. I know many parents don't allow their kids outdoors because they worry about their safety.

She even got Illinois' radical anti-gun group, the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence (ICHV), to weigh in:

That students aren't out and being active doesn't surprise Thom Mannard, executive director of the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence.

He has a lot of contact with parents who tell him they keep their children indoors because of fears of violence in their neighborhoods.

With the Brady Campain scrambling so desperately for relevance that their highest priority at the moment seems to be bullying Starbucks into prohibiting armed self-defense (or trying to bully them, I should say), this new "issue" (of sorts) is probably quite appealing. First Lady Michelle Obama, after all, has made fighting childhood obesity her signature issue. I would not be at all surprised to see the Brady Bunch pressing President Obama to sieze on this angle in order to better his failing grade in their eyes.

Suddenly, the "solution" to kids' sedentary lifestyle and junk food abuse will be disarming you and me.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2581-St-L...y2010m3d16-Blaming-guns-for-childhood-obesity

Posted at beericus.com

·
Registered
606 Posts
The truly unfortunate part of this whole deal is that twisted, convoluted logic like that actually works on a surprising number of Americans. Sad to say, but I honestly feel this country is getting dumber by the minute.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts