Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I found this site from the Shotgun world web. Great site and info.

After reading through the forums, I've decided to buy a .22 Ruger Revolver as my first handgun. Reason for my choice is I want my wife to be able to shoot and any noise or recoil will turn her off on the first trigger pull. Second reason is that I want to learn to shoot and will be using for target/plinking only and ammo's cheap.

Carrying it isn't an issue - it will be in a locked case except when at the range or being cleaned in my shop. I probably won't spend a lot of time at the range in the rain or snow.

Question: would you consider Stainless steel or Blue'd to be the best choice? Or is it purely personal opinion?

My gunshop has a nice Single Six Combo .22LR/.22Mag with a blue'd finish for $295. I've got the NJ Pistol Permit burning a hole in my pocket crying out "USE ME," but I originally wanted the stainless. Do I wait it out, or am I unlikely to find a stainless Single six combo used in that price range?

Thanks for your opinions.

BTW - In case anyone's wondering, in NJ, you have to file through your local Police Dept for a Pistol Permit to buy a hangun. Usually takes about a month to get the permit processed and it's good for 1 gun only and you have 3 months to use it, with an extension for 3 more after you go back to the Police to have the chief sign it a second time. That must be why our crime rate is so low :)evil: SARCASM :evil:). Anyhow, that's why the permit's burning a hole in my pocket.

·
Registered
640 Posts
It is mostly a personal choice as to the gun material, I have that model of Ruger in stainless but I regularly carry mine in all weather conditions when walking the dogs for use on any pests we run across. I'd have to guess that a bit over half of my guns are some form of weather/sweat resistive material, the other half are blued, with the guns being carried the most being weather resistive. Target guns are mostly blued as there is something visually pleasing in a deep, mirror-like bluing.
$295 seems about $50 too much for a used blued Single Six here but would be in the ballpark for a stainless version. There are regional differences in gun prices with your area seeming to have rather higher prices for firearms than many others. That being the case, $295 may not be bad at all for one in good shape. It kind of stinks to have a time constraint due to a permitting process which throws yet another wrench into the matter. If you really want a stainless model you should wait but if finish is less important than the features or style, then this particuar gun may be a decent choice.

·
Registered
160 Posts
industrious95 said:
in NJ, you have to file through your local Police Dept for a Pistol Permit to buy a hangun. Usually takes about a month to get the permit processed and it's good for 1 gun only and you have 3 months to use it, with an extension for 3 more after you go back to the Police to have the chief sign it a second time.
What a crock :evil:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've always thought that the stainless looked really sharp on some autos, but I prefer the blued look on revolvers. One advantage the stainless will have is that it won't wear off over time. Bluing tends to degrade somewhat with heavy use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
industrious95 said:
BTW - In case anyone's wondering, in NJ, you have to file through your local Police Dept for a Pistol Permit to buy a hangun. Usually takes about a month to get the permit processed and it's good for 1 gun only and you have 3 months to use it, with an extension for 3 more after you go back to the Police to have the chief sign it a second time. That must be why our crime rate is so low :)evil: SARCASM :evil:). Anyhow, that's why the permit's burning a hole in my pocket.
Here in Texas, we have to fill out some paperwork and get a quick (3-5 min) computer background check. But you can purchase multiple firearms on that one form and walk out of the store with 'em.

Sounds like NJ has been way too Yankee-fied. :wink:

Texas: it's like a whole other country...

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
uglydog said:
Texas red said:
Some would say it is more like a whole 'nother world. I get along well down there though, I just tell them my dad is from Oklahoma and they take pity on this poor, disadvantaged fool. :D
Sad...but it would be true. :lol:

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you keep even moderate care of you guns, you won't have any problems with a blued finish. I have more blued than stainless, and I have never had a problem: carrying, hunting, or plinking in the summer, winter, sweat or rain. Clean them when you are through shooting them, or wipe them off if you only carried and didn't fire them.

The Single Six is a great fun gun, and so easy to clean. It only takes you 5 seconds to take a SA gun apart for cleaning, even if you're slow. You can shoot any kind of .22 ammo, and it will never jam! Warning . . . once you get a single action gun, you'll have to get more. They're just more fun to shoot than anything else. You'll have to have a .357/38 for more fun, then a .44 or .45 Colt for hunting, then . . . well, I'll leave it at that. They'll keep coming!

Then you'll have to have a lever gun that shoots the same cartridge . . . :mrgreen:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Texas red said:
industrious95 said:
Here in Texas, we have to fill out some paperwork and get a quick (3-5 min) computer background check. But you can purchase multiple firearms on that one form and walk out of the store with 'em.

Sounds like NJ has been way too Yankee-fied. :wink:

In Washington you can buy a pistol after a NCI check and a five day waiting period. If you have a carry permit you can get it with out the wait. The carry permit takes about a month, is pretty easy to get and is good for five years. You can also join the Washington Arms collectors (after passsing NCI check) for $45 bucks a year and buy pistols at the gun shows with out the 5 day wait. Seems like some Yankees have it good!

·
Registered
7 Posts
In response to the Stainless or Blue question, its like the old beer commercial, "Tastes Great, Less Filling" debate, it's all personal preference. Either way,you will have a handgun that will provide hours of family fun and a great learning experience form the wife.

And although this is not a political forum, in regards to the comment concerning Yankees, well, there are many of us who support the 2nd Amendment and prefer not to have our handguns or any of our firearms registered. It's not the Yankees, it's the left wing, bleeding heart liberals looking to restrict our rights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.