Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there a book out there that will explain things about pistol reloading similar to say a textbook telling you what everything means when it comes to reloading handguns?

·
Registered
149 Posts
look for the "ABCs of Reloading" by Grennell (SP?).

there are also other books, like by almost every reloader component mfg.

iirc, the NRA publishes some info too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would get Lymans Reloading manual and Modern Reloading by Richard Lee especially if you end up using Lee Precision Equipment as most people do.
And then if you want a third manual get ABCs. If you check out owner reviews on Midway USA there are about 64 reviews for Modern Reloading and around 24 for Lymans and 4 for ABCs which has slightly lower owner reviews. http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseP ... **19845***

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im fairly new to reloading and casting.I have the older speer, lyman and lee manuals. I shoot only 45 acp at this time. I like to have multiple manuals because each has different powders and data. I find that from manual to manual exact data is not the same from each, so careful rereading is a must. sammi specs are exact.
One of the things pounded into me by old timers is check,check,and triple check.
Ive just shgot my first batch of reloads. with success I might add.Out of 150 rounds fired I had 4 FTF.
Powder is hard to find, but I like the AA# 2 with a lazer cut lswc and CCI primers. My first load was 4.3 gn. I noticed a major reduction in recoil in my Springfield loaded over factory 230 gn ball ammo. and second shots were much improved. Ive changed to the Lee charge bar from the auto disc so I can get a 4.6 gn load for my second batch.
I thought id never get my first batch loaded with all the testing and double checking. This is a great sport and much more to learn.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Hawkeye_90 said:
is there a book out there that will explain things about pistol reloading similar to say a textbook telling you what everything means when it comes to reloading handguns?
Most of us who've reloaded for a period of years cross reference several manuals while working up a new load. If there's 3 popular manuals they would be, 'Speer's #14 Reloading Manual', 'The A, B, C's Of Reloading', and, 'Richard Lee's Modern Reloading' Manual.

Dillion Precision, also, sells DVD's that show you in intimate detail how to set up and use one of their progressive presses. Personally, I don't think any one book is going to, 'do it' for ya. When I was learning how to reload I used t scour the technical sections at the front of the more popular manuals of the day: Speer, Sierra, and Hornady.

They're, all, good; but none is so detailed that it's going to cover everything for ya. I like the Dillon DVD that came with my machine; and I'd, also, recommend the 550b as the best general use progressive press in the world, today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts