Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been reloading handgun or rifle rounds very long, but after doing some reading and research I came up with a good way to clean my brass. Just wanted to hear some opinions on it.

I deprime and size the cases, then put them in an old sauce pan with a tablespoon of lemon juice, a sprinkle of powdered dishwashing detergent and water until they are covered. Then boil them for 15 min or so. Then I drain, rinse and spread them out on a towel to let them dry for a least a couple days before I use them.

Obviously, I could buy a tumbler, but this seems pretty easy and doesn't cost me anything.

One lesson I learned is not to do two sizes at once. I mixed some 9mm with 45 auto, and the smaller brass got nested in with the larger ones too easily. This made it a little tougher to make sure they were clean.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it works for you then do it. Glad to read that you use an old pot. Using the newer stuff from the kitchen can get one executed.

My only concern is if you are using dishwasher soap (as in Cascade, or similar). Dishwasher soaps are caustic, and can pit metal and even glass. You may want to keep an eye out for this. It may not even be a problem.

I tumble. For me, it's not as messy (I say this looking at the corn cobb and walnut on the floor), and I can process them as soon as they come out of the tumbler. I have 2 tumblers, both on timers, turn 'em on and walk away if I need to.

You can mix some calibers. Try doing your 9mm with 38/357 or rifle cases. But yes the 9s do tend to hide inside the 45s.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought a tumbler and quickly learned a lesson! Don't mix 9mm, .40cal, and .45acp. 9mm fit inside a .40cal which fits inside a .45acp with a little corn grain to boot. Took me over an hour to pull them apart. Lesson Learned.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use a vibrator with corn and walnut together, no reason thought I try it. I use the liquid cleaner from Dillon and others, cleans the brass and polishes as well. I ran into a more senior citzen at the range who touted liquid car wax as a substitute. I see no reason that it would not work as well and a lot cheaper. Using the liquid does get the media dirty a lot quicker. I take the anti static squares the wife uses with the clothes dryer. Cut the used ones up into 1"squares and add to the media when tumbling. Its a one shot "charlie" but its amazing the dirt it removes as it extends the life of the media.
Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the car wax thing, I would suggest NuFinish as I think was mentioned above because it does not actually contain wax that can build up. They tout it as a wax free polish.

·
Registered
1 Posts
has anyone actually used dried rice grains, or as we call them here in our native language, "palay"?

in any case, what characteristics that makes a particular kind of media good for cleaning and polishing brass shells?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Pet co sells the walnut and corn cobb media. It is marketed under i think snake or reptile bedding.

I did not want to pay for shipping for the real stuff, i went on line under corn cobb media and found that most of it or the biggest percentage is used for pet supplys and something like sandblasting.

Petco has it next to each other in the reptile section. i bought one bag with the walnut in it and one with the corncobb in it. i think the reptiles can it this stuff in thier diet so it told me it did not have any amonia in it. Always keep amonia away from brass.

so i mixed these two up in a big tuperware type of box i keep with the cover on it . When it is time to tumble i put a little (capfull of polish Dillon blue stuff). It comes out real nice and clean and shiney. The walnut always makes a lot of dust (always did) i noticed. So i use a solid lid on my tumbler to keep the mess down.

i read the old timers used Brasso and comet and such i tried brass polish amonia free of cours once, found it was a little greasy . i dont think i would use car polish as above mentioned, but i really dont know so who knows.

i will recomend using something though because you can harm your dies if you dont clean the brass before hand.

But again the petco stuff worked well, i think that i may stick with it, No one around me seems to ever have the reasl stuff on the shelves, although i use to like the ones that had the polish in it already.

As the saying goes persavere (old indian in out law josey wales movie) thats how he got the top hat he wore, from some president at the time, any way keep em clean, Jack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts