Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been introduced to pistol shooting and I am looking to purchase a .22 for a local clubs competions. It is not an NRA event it is another internationally sanctioned event and I cannot remember it. They have them the second Saturday of each month. I was leaning towards a Ruger but handled the Buckmark and liked how it felt. Any input you guys may have for a newby would be great. I am open to other suggestions also in the $500-600 range.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Which Ruger was it?

One of the most popular paper-punchers on a budget is one of the Ruger Target pistols (either the bull barrel or the tapered heavy barrel). All you do is replace the hammer, sear, and trigger with Volquartsen parts (about $100) and you have a very good target pistol.

The Mark II, no longer produced, seems to get better reviews than the new Mark III.... they are fundamentally the same, but the mark III is "lawyerized".

Check here.....

http://www.hunt101.com/uploads/19827/Mark_I.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/uploads/19827/Mark_II.JPG

·
Registered
640 Posts
The Buckmark can be a pretty accurate gun, mine will easily keep all 10 rounds of about any bulk ammo inside a soda can bottom at 40 yards. With target ammo it favors, it rivals the S&W 41 and High Standards I also own. It is a 5.5 Target model with 5.5" barrel with full length rail. There are some aftermarket products for the Buckmark though I have not looked into them much. I have seen some in MidwayUSA as well as a couple magazine ads. The Ruger is a very good gun and it can be easily modified as one's abilities improve. I do not care for them as much as other models but one cannot argue against their popularity and ability.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The Ruger v. Browning question is like Ford v. Chevy. Both are fine little automatics. Most folks have great results with their Rugers. I had a Mk.II that jammed with everything except CCI Blazer ammo. It always took me forever to reassemble that blasted Ruger! Because of that, if I were buying another .22 auto, I'd try the Buckmark. However, I cheated. The last four .22s I have bought have all been wheelguns. They'll shoot anything w/o jamming, and are easier to clean! :mrgreen: I'll never go back to automatics again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can say a thing or 2 about the buck mark. I have a special (camper) version (grips,slide) 5.5in. barrel ...

In only a few clips I was hitting 1" groups at 25 yrds.

Research has brought me to the 'Trail-Lite' after market barrel. I have decided to get the 7.25" fluted black barrel. In addition, I have ordered the scope rail... and a Century 2.5 X 30 pistol scope. I believe this combo will give me a 100 yrd. 1" group. (varmits beware)...

The buck mark is modeled after the
Hi-Standard .22 semi auto pistol... (been there, got one)...
If you want good target shooting, scope or even iron sights.. you probably wont go wrong with the
Browning Buck Mark pistol...

I'll let y'all know how the new barrel and scope do... About 1 month...

"""I shoot better mad, than you can run scared"""

L

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a SIGArms/Hammerli Trailside, which is a fantastic tack-driver. It's now produced as the Xesse. The Trailside came in 4.5" and 6" models, and Larry's Guns offers plenty of aftermarket stuff. *Very* accurate, great grips, solid trigger, easy to strip, has a Weaver Rail already milled into the one-piece barrel/reciever/frame. Harder to find these days, but definitely worth the money; they retailed at 400-450 (I paid 450), and should still fall into your price range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.