Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll thought I would drop by as I'm in the market again for a new pistol. I have a .38 Special and a 22 pistol. Now I'm here to get advice on Caliber. My wife and I are going this Saturday to shoot a 9mm ruger to see how we like the 9mm. I'm still not sure though if I should buy a 9mm a .40 S&W or a .45 ACP. Any recommendations from the more experienced shooter would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Who's pistol is it going to be?

If shared by both you and the wife, I would recommend the 9mm.

If it's soley going to be your pistol, any of the three are will be nice selections.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'll second that any of the above will make a fine choice in rounds, as for your wife, I would let her try them all too as I have seen many women find a particular model of 9mm to be very difficult to shoot while different model in 45 ACP or even 40 S&W to be much more pleasant. It all has to do with how well the gun fits the hand and there are no hard and fast rules here. You may find you will need to buy two guns to fit both of your needs or desires in which case I'd buy hers first so she doesn't change her mind regarding her shooting. With both of you shooting, it becomes easier to justify buying a gun for you though financing it may be harder as you are spend money on ammo for both of you.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Like already said. It kinda depends on what the pistol will be used for. Pleasure/plinking? Defence? If its mostly for plinking I would say go with 9mm, ammo is cheap and everywhere. If its mostly for defence just skip right over .40 and go with .45ACP, proven power and the ammo is cheaper than .40 and not much more than 9mm with tons of choices. :wink:

·
Registered
240 Posts
If possible find a range that rents pistols and shoot all three. It really comes down to the use of the pistol and what you can shoot comfrontably, accuratly and frequently.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pistol is going to be for myself mainly but my wife will shoot it as well. She loves the .38 we have. We shot a ruger 9mm this weekend and she didn't like it as much as the revolver. I'm thinking I may just need to buy a .357 with a longer barrel and just let her keep shooting the .38 rounds. I will be target shooting and using it for home defense.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i would ask for what purpose?

i would find some gun rental ranges in your area and do alot of testing. it can be expensive, but you will be able to shoot/feel and try the different calibers.

at my range i was able to get a good deal on the rentals. I told them i wasnt sure what i wanted and let them know i would like to try most or all of them. they waived the rental fee(s) and just charged me for ammo. of course i had to use/buy their ammo, but in the end, i had the opportunity to try alot of different handguns.

since youre starting out with guns, take a look at ammo prices. that may make your decision for you.

also, look at prices for extra mags, if you can find them for the guns you are looking at.

reloading is an option, but yoiu will be spendiing more $$$ on equipment to get started.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Re: re: Caliber Selection

Armyshooter said:
The pistol is going to be for myself mainly but my wife will shoot it as well. She loves the .38 we have. We shot a ruger 9mm this weekend and she didn't like it as much as the revolver. I'm thinking I may just need to buy a .357 with a longer barrel and just let her keep shooting the .38 rounds. I will be target shooting and using it for home defense.
There is nothing wrong with your choice of a .357 revolver. Personally, I would hesitate buying anything longer than a 4" barrel unless it's for a dedicated hunting or serious target gun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice doc. When I buy a .357 Mag I think I'm going to get a six inch barrel as it will not be a conceal carry pistol. It might go by the seat in the car on a road trip but mostly it will be a target gun and a back up on hunts

1 - 11 of 11 Posts