PistolWorld.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to show off my Cap and Ball Revolvers. They were kits that came from Dixie Gun Works. The top one is a Remington 1855 .44cal and the bottom is a Colt Navy 1851 .31cal :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nice pistols. I'll order the Dixie catalog every couple years and tinker with the idea of putting one together but never have done it. Those pistols look really nice..maybe i should reconsider.
Have you shot them?
Did the case come one of the guns?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't take all the credit here. I bought these guns from my uncle and he did a great job of putting them together. He even made the box too. He has fired them a few times and said that they shoot great and that they're loads of fun. Personally I'm still waiting for a chance to get out and fire these things, but with winter on the way it looks like I'll be waiting till next year :(

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Newly purchased toy! This is my 1861 Colt Navy .36cal :D

All that needs to be done is a little smoothing on some rough spots and a healthly coat of blueing and she's done. I'll report back when it's in finished condition 8)

·
Registered
944 Posts
Maser said:
my 1858 army buffalo revolver was way better than those :wink:
Then why didn't you keep it? You didn't blow it up did you? :wink:

Hey semiauto that's really nice. I can't wait to see it finished. Any idea on how you're going to get it blued?

Maybe there should be an "I love my Blackpowder Pistol" section.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Fuelburns2 said:
Then why didn't you keep it? You didn't blow it up did you? :wink:
lol very funny but the reason i got rid of it was cuz i left one of the chambers charged with a load of homemade black powder for a long period of time and then this one day i was tired of it always being loaded so i took off the nipple and then poured out the powder and forced the ball out and i noticed that the inside of the chamber was completly corroded so i just got rid of it cuz im sure it wasnt too safe to shoot but anyways i had no idea u could get replacment cylinders so maybe soon il buy that same model again from cabelas :wink:

·
Registered
944 Posts
A lesson learned I suppose. I always look into replacement part availability before I buy after what I've gone through with my SxS. I miss shooting it...

Edited to add: be glad you didn't get tired of having it loaded and shoot it. :shock: That could be real unpleasant.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In response to Fuelburns2 I plan on using Birchwood Casey Perma Blue Gun Paste. The paste is supposed to give it a darker richer blueing than any of the liquids that you can buy. It should take around three to four coats to get it to look like the revolvers that I posted earlier :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts