Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a decent concealed carry weapon. what are some suggestions for something that is not extremely expensive, yet concealable with stopping power. i would like to go with a .40 S&W round, but could be convinced to carry a 9mm if the stats were good.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'd suggest posting in "pistol opinions" rather than here.

Short answer to your question.... there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 9x19 for a CCW handgun. A hit with a 9 beats a miss with a .44 Mag every time. Whatever you get, learn to shoot the darn thing. Practice, practice, practice..... and then practice some more.

Other than that, try several makes and models until you find one you like... but buy a QUALITY firearm. Life is too short (and too dear) to own a crappy gun.

·
Registered
141 Posts
9mm is just fine. Poke around here a bit and you'll find some rather more eloquent endorsements than I could ever drum up. But the gist of it is:
1. 9mm is cheaper than any other serious caliber.
2. Shot placement is king.
3. Shot placement requires practice.
4. Cheaper ammo means more practice.
5. Ergo, 9mm = superior caliber. QED.

Also, the top end expanding 9's (Speer Gold Dots, etc) come pretty close to .40 performance.

Watch the used market - a slightly-fired gun will often shave a c-bill or more off the price, for an equivalent product.

Springfield XD is a very good deal for the money. Built like a tank, runs anything you can throw at it, easy to shoot, great ergonomics. It's a Glock, with all the Glock problems fixed.[/url]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the input. in central Minnesota there are not a lot of used dealers around, nor have i been able to find very many guns shows that would get me in touch in the used market. any ideas or suggestions? I am not real fond of pawn shops, but could be convinced with some good recommendations.
sortdeuce

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.