Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have any 550 CCI primers and can't get them locally...like all the rest of us...the dealers have empty shelves "awaiting back orders from the supply houses".

I would like to load my 357's with my CCI 500's (I have a few hundred of em)...is this a bad thing while using Unique powder? One thing for sure is that I don't want to get a bunch of squibs so if you guys say noooo, I'll take my chances with the back orders.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I can't remember what CCI's designations are, I think the 500 is the standard small pistol primer. If so, you shouldn't have any problems when using Unique as it is kind of fast for pistol use. I have used Blue Dot with standard primers without problems, even in below zero weather. If you do have any squibs, put the ammo up until summer when temps are higher. Then you may not have any problems.

If these are magnum primers, watch for signs of pressure as you work back up a load. This is not an exact science but one needs to do what they can. Magnum primers can raise pressures and often show a tendency to spike now and then.

If you do have standard primers, put up a sign at the club bulletin board that you want to trade standard small pistol primers for magnums. the latter are much easier to find and people should flock out of the woodwork to consumate a deal. I see these ads all the time at my local clubs as well as on some local Internet sites. I traded off some of my standard small pistol primers for magnums and got an extra 25% on the deal. That is what the person trading with me offered and it sounded good to me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Most times, during shortages, it is a LOT easier finding magnum primers than standard.
Unless using 296/H110, I have not had any problems using standard primers. Magnum primers are needed for magnum powders and Unique isn't a magnum powder.
I find that 2400 works fine with standard primers, though the use of magnum primers is better (more consistent/accurate) for .44 Rem Mag or .45 Win Mag and 2400.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts