Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new to this forum and to reloading. I can buy CCI 550 primers, but my information indicates I need CCI 500's. If I am using 155 grain bullets and CCI 550 primers, what powder would I need and how much for a target load? Thanks in advance. Edit: I am shooting with a Cougar 8040 40 cal.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I couldn't find any data for the 550 primer.It is a much "hotter" primer intended for the magnums and powders like 296-L ook around for the 500'sand stick with published data :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I guess I was a little impatient. I did find some 500's today so I am set for a while. I loaded my first round today and shot it. I went with the lowest amount of powder (6.5 grains for a 155 bullet). What a great feeling that it went well without problems. I even missed the target :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where are you finding primers at? If you dont mind me asking? There is not a primer to be had within a 100 radius of me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't mind. A local gun and tire shop gets them once in a while. They don't take orders and they will not hold them. First come, first served. I can buy 1 box of 1000 at a time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I found some CCI small pistol primers on GunBroker.
Bought 10,000 for $457.00. Contact Sportsmen's Supply
at (408)377-0647. They are in California.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow. So did I. Unfortunately, those days may be long gone.
Paying a 50% surcharge seemed to be a better alternative
to quitting shooting. In any event, it beats paying nearly
a dollar a bullet for completed rounds.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Glad you folks are able to get 1k at a time locally, around here the gunshops are handing out 100 packs like a priest giving Communion, Sheesh! :roll:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am able to buy 1,000 per week. I just don't know what kind. I have been ble to get CCI but now they are Winchester. I could go in every day they have them and buy some, but they are asking people not to do it so they have enough to go around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
CCI 550 Primers for

I would throw away every shell that has a loose primer. Or, i would thow avay all of them if they were from the 40s because corrosive primers can destroy brass too. And they had corrosive primers in the 40s.
i0p0409r

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't mind. A local gun and tire shop gets them once in a while. They don't take orders and they will not hold them. First come, first served. I can buy 1 box of 1000 at a time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts