Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. This looks like a great forum with lots of experienced folks posting, so I'd imagine I'll get some instructive and interesting answers to a question I've been pondering:

As a fairly experienced shooter but new to CCW (no permit 'til May), I'm wondering whether folks here always carry, or just at certain times. I understand that one can argue that it's not necessary to strap on a weapon to step outside and pick up the mail, but where do you draw a line? Walking the dog? Running down to the local QuickMart? Does it depend on your perception of the safety of the environment?

And the other side, too: If you have a permit, why would you not carry? After all, even environments that seem safe (and that should be safe), can suddenly become unsafe. (Ask any of the parents of those kids at Va. Tech.)

I can't quite decide, myself. I might feel silly packing when I'm driving to my brother-in-law's for a dinner party. Then again, I'd feel even sillier if something bad happened and I needed a weapon and didn't have one.

Most of you are much more experienced than I am, so what do you folks think?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I always carry in my state, in other states I would do the same unless I was going to patronize an establishment that prohibited the carrying of a firearm except for authorized personnel. I do have some friends who frown greatly on the bringing of a firearm into their home so I usually lock the gun in a secure box in my vehicle when visiting them. In the thirty years I have been carrying a firearm, I had occasion to draw it four times off duty of which three of them would have been in places and/or times one would not typically think it needed. People who legally carry a firearm usually avoid places where trouble can occur and when that is not possible, they typically keep a better awareness of what is going on around them and do what they can to sidestep problems before they occur. For that reason few CCW carriers run into problems and when they do, it is often not where and when expected.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I carry but not as often as I know I should for all the reasons uglydog states above.

I'm not allowed to carry at work - I park on the street and there have been cars broken into before around here so locking it in the glove box isn't particuraly appealing to me either.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I carry most of the time . My delima is when I am somewhere that has signs posted saying "no handguns" ( like a bank or my kid's school), or at the home of someone who is uncomfortable with the gun being there....So, sometimes I don't. Being in a situation when your gun is needed and not having it is one of those that you may not get a second chance at. Once you have a concealed carry permit and are properly trained with your weapon, you have a certain responsibility, as I see it, to carry.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Re: re: CCW: Do you always carry?

Captn66 said:
I park on the street and there have been cars broken into before around here so locking it in the glove box isn't particuraly appealing to me either.
For those situations I have a coupleof different options. First off, I have a keyed lock box screwed into the trunk of my car or into the rear of the truck cab. These are my most secure places for handguns and where I also keep any valuables I need to leave in the vehicle. I paid about $50 a piece for them a few years ago though I think they are now in the $80 range.
For a bit lesser security but more convenience and less notice, I have a key locked storage box that has a cable running from it that I wrap around the seat support. This fits under the seat and is where I keep my pistol when I have to make a quick run into someplace where they don't want guns such as a courthouse or post office. The cable can be cut with a good set of cable cutters but that takes a little more time than the typical "smash and grab" artist wants to spend. It is much more secure than a glove box and the current cost is under $40 the last I saw.
I use keyed locks as it protects a passenger who may not have a permit from being "in control" of a handgun in public. The definition of "control" can vary but here it means anyplace inside the vehicle a person has access to as well as the means of moving it. It can be hard to convince an officer or prosecutor that your significant other does not know the combination of the safe but it is pretty easy to demonstrate they do not have a key. The law is rather murky on the subject but I do not want my wife to be the test case in this matter.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for the ideas Uglydog :)

I'm going to look into them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, thanks to all for the great advice and info. I appreciate it. Like most of you, I'm leaning toward carrying at all times, unless there's some compelling reason not to carry.

Uglydog, thanks for the ideas about keeping the weapons secure in a vehicle!

BTW: Just came back from running the first 100 rounds through my new PT111 Millenium Pro. Shot slightly high and left for a bit, then adjusted; ended up shooting slightly low and right. I think what that says is that the gun shoots pretty straight; it's the shooter that needs adjusting. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Uglydog, I have been trying to determine the best way to secure my pistol in my vehicle when it is necessary.... Thanks for the tips, I think you've pointed me in the right direction .

rodscher, nothing like putting those first rounds through a new gun .... my goal is always to make the shooter (me) as good as the gun :wink:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wharf Rat,

NICE..... Where did you get box? Do you have a link for this box? and did you custom fit it for the inside of the console, or does it come with the adapter?

Thank you.

I Always carry, never know when or where you might need it. The BG's are every where.
My friends always assume I carry, but never really know, and I do NOT make it a point to tell them, So I never take it off when I go visit them. It's on my hip, under a shirt, sometimes even tucked in, so they never know. Blade-Tech IWB.

·
Registered
8 Posts

xd.40 said:
Wharf Rat,

NICE..... Where did you get box? Do you have a link for this box? and did you custom fit it for the inside of the console, or does it come with the adapter?

Thank you.
http://advancedpistolsafes.com/Console_ ... Safes.html
This is semi-custom safe. At the time, they offered one for different guns but not for specific consoles.
Be sure to ask for your specific vehicle. Also, better verify it will fit your gun. This box shown fits a mid size gun. Mine holds a HK P7, 4" barrel.
It will also hold a HK P2000.

No adapter. The safe screws to the floorboard. Use at least a #12 screw.

Link to original thread on installation. http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=012530#000000

·
Registered
147 Posts
I carry something, even if it's a little .25 pistol, all the time, even at home.
I sometimes carry more than 1 outdoors, depending where I expect to go, ans always carry extra mags or speedloaders when I leave home.
For the last 15 years or so, I worked with drug addicts and other such types who threatened me and my family from time to time. I am retired now, but don't want to be a target for someone I don't even remember anymore.
I have had occasion to have a gun in my hand once, and I am very glad I had it when I needed it.

mark

G

·
My current carry gun is my only pistol, a 5" 1911. Despite what some fanatics and 1911 diehards say, it's kind of a pain to hide. So when I'm dressed down(shorts, tshirt) i don't carry as much. If I'm going out of town or to an extra-shady part of town, I carry a spare mag(8rds isn't much these days). But, as you should be aware, there are a number of places carrying is prohibited, schools, government buildings, bars and the like, so I can't always carry. Don't think I have any friends that are gun-haters, but then again I don't flash my piece either, a concealed weapon can't really be seen you know.

·
Registered
97 Posts

theoriginalrecon said:
My current carry gun is my only pistol, a 5" 1911. Despite what some fanatics and 1911 diehards say, it's kind of a pain to hide. So when I'm dressed down(shorts, tshirt) i don't carry as much.

It is all in the way you carry it or the holster you use. A good holster is worth the money.
Try a Blade-Tech IWB Holster. http://www.blade-tech.com/Inside-Waist-Band-c-260.html It is a Kydex holster. I wear mine everywhere I go. The only place I don't take it is in Gov. Buildings. Other than that, It is Concealed, so NO ONE knows it's there.

BunnyMan recommended the Crossbreed supertuck holster. http://crossbreedholsters.com/contact_us.html This is half kydex, and then half leather, which the leather is against the body, so it is more comfortable. These are 2 very nice holsters.

I carry the Springfield XD Service in .40 Cal. with the Blade-tech IWB holster. It does NOT show at all, even with shorts and t-shirt, or polo shirt. I even tuck in my shirts once in awhile, and you still cant tell i'm wearing it.
The Blade-Tech is very comfortable.

Hope this Helps.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Do I always carry?

Answer, Yes and I don't really have a choice. I have left home to run three blocks to the store to get some snacks and had to return to get my carry piece.
A long time ago I had a horrible experience and had I not had some way to at least try to stop the threat I simply would not be here today. The fact that I had "something" coupled with a ton of luck and most certainly the Grace of God, I did and I am.

But what has happened as a result is a very deep seated belief that bad things can and do happen any place at any time. If we believe we are safe just because we are only going to church or to school or to the corner grocery etc. we are kidding ourselves. So I want to have that "something" wherever I go.
I want the ability to at the very least try to stop or influence in my favor anything that I may encounter anyplace at all times. Note: I am NOT going to become involved in your fight. I am no longer a police officer and have no duty to protect anyone but myself and my loved ones and having lived through it and having had to deal with the law etc. after, I will not be the guy who runs up to save Gotham city. I will be the one hiding to the
best of my ability to prevent the bad guys from finding me and forcing me to act.

You have all heard of the "nightmares" that you may have after a life-changing experience. I will go one further and say you WILL have nightmares of some kind, period. Everyone will be different. But as crazy as it may seem, mine is a re-living of the event and I have "nothing" to get to to influence the outcome. It happens any time not just at night and I believe it is a constant reminder to me of why I am doing what I am doing. I honestly believe it helps to keep me aware. It is this subconscious thought that occurs when I try to leave home without my piece. I cannot do it. As soon as I try to leave, the "what if" scenarios begin and I have to return to get it.

You can all read and listen to news. What would be going through your mind if you were one of those kids in the college where that coward took his big bad guns and began to HUNT you down like a cockroach and you had nothing to stop him except to try to blockade the door.
Same with the mall shooting recently.
My thought is because of the publicity these cowards receive, these things are going to escalate and become even more frequent.
I am not a brave person, I do not go looking for trouble and most of the people I know who are constant Concealed carriers are neither. But they/we are wise and careful and mind our own business. It is just that we have a different view of who will be there to protect us and our loved ones. We know beyond a doubt that the local police will be there only to make out the reports. So we prepare ourselves physically and mentally to do what we have to do God Forbid, but we cannot nor will we if we do not have the tools at hand.

So again, yes and I recommend and influence a lot of people every week in my CCW courses to do the same. I currently host courses for more students than any other organization in our state. I have gathered the most experienced and articulate instructors for every level of training and with every tactical firearm. As a result I get to meet and associate with the last of the most honest people living in our wonderful country, every day of my life. Those great people who own their firearms legally.

Good luck to all and I sincerely hope if tis is your choice as it is mine, you take the time to prepare and then take the time to stay very, very competent with the tools of your choice. Shooting handguns is just like algebra, if you don't practice constantly, your skills and accuracy go away almost immediately. I see examples of this every day at my range, so make up your mind to practice with your chosen tools, including your carry devices and methods.

UF

·
Registered
97 Posts
UncleFudd,

WOW!

What an inspiring and enlightening letter. I can see by what you wrote, that it was a Horrible Experience for you, and a good Choice to carry at all times. (reading between the lines).

Good thing Our Lord has us in his protective hands.

He keeps us safe. He is the deliverer, the good Sheppard he watches out over his flock.

He Keeps the wolves away....

Thank God you are doing alright now, even though you have and will always have those nightmares. They do NOT go away, but get lesser and fewer between, but never go away.

God has placed you where he wants you, Teaching and Instructing those of us who need Your Professional, Intelligent, and Experienced Leadership.

Thank you for that, and for what you do for All your students. You are and always will be an Inspiration to them ALL.

Stay Strong, and keep up the Great Job that you do. We thank you for who You are. You are a True Sheep Dog.

God Bless you Brother.

P.S. again, Happy Birthday!

Stay Safe

·
Registered
29 Posts
We'll cut to the chase here --

As a disabled veteran, I have access to military installations, commissaries, PX, Veteran Admin. Medical Centers (VA Hospital).

ANY and ALL federal military facilities forbid firearm possession on the property. This includes unloaded and secured in the vehicle.

The "Peaceful Journey" clause which allows for legal transport of a firearm through a state which prohibits that firearm (CA as an example) -- from a "legal state" to another "legal state" -- does not apply to "passing through" military reservations.

I've been informed by the Director of Campus Security at the local VA Hospital that if I have a permit, and I'm traveling to a VA facility from any nominal distance (50 miles) that they don't expect I'm going to forgo my being armed just because I need to come onto a VA campus. They expect that the firearm will be unloaded and secured in the trunk, or similar.

In the case of the VA, they need "probable cause" to search my vehicle. It's easy not to provide "probable cause."

On a federal reservation, military or otherwise (National Park), the vehicle can be searched for any reason, or no reason whatsoever. Locally, the county road passes through a National Park on my way home from town. I seriously doubt that being on a county road inside a National Park constitutes being "in" the park for legal purposes.

I buy gasoline at the commissary. Since the commissary is a small facility, NOT on the Coast Guard base, I don't much worry about driving on/off their lot for gas or shopping with the gun in the vehicle, loaded, tucked in the door pocket. I'm discreet, and they know me. I'm not a "jerk" nor a "threat." But it's still not legal.

Driving onto a base, Coast Guard or Army, the gun stays at home. They can search the vehicle at the gate if they want, "just because." (I have Vet's plates on the vehicle, photo ID, but they don't need a "reason.")

One more obstacle -- Up until recently it was legal for me to carry my loaded firearm in WA state. Their law for carry without a CCW stipulated "when engaged in outdoor recreation." Now the law says, "under no circumstances" loaded in a vehicle. Open carry is legal, but not concealed without a permit. No reciprocity on my OR CCW. But WA is a simple reg process, show my OR CCW and pay my fee. WA is just across the river, 5 miles.

As you might imagine . . . I need to give some thought when I leave the house as to where I'm headed.

When do I carry? Let me think about it . . .

·
Registered
175 Posts
smokem;

You have brought up some VERY important and critical issues facing all of us at one time or another. Whether its for going cross country or to places they have posted signs telling us no firearms allowed, permit or no.

It leaves us with very difficult decisions and it turns out as in my case to be that I am going to carry no matter where, I as with you or anyone else who makes that decision in danger of arrest and confinement and the possibility of losing my firearm(s).

What do we do?

I have just entered Wa state fom my home sate of Arizona. As you said, there is no reciprosity with Wa and AZ. I don't think Wa has reciprocity with any state, but I could be mistaken.
I come up here for the summer and stay from the first of June to the first of Oct. I made the choice to carry in the vehicle out of sight, condition 1. In this situation, I have no intention of dong as I do in Az. If I am stopped. There, if I am stopped I immediately tell the officer there is a gun in the car and where it is located. I have been thanked and told they very much appreciate knowing that and I have never been asked to see it or for them to handle it in any way.

I am just as you said, not a bar fly, nor do I look or act like I am in any way a risk, I ma 65, sp I don't look like a threat to anyone. But as I said I do not plan to tell them and they really have no reason to suspect. But it is with me and I am in danger of having them search with the proper documents which they can produce at any time if they so desire.
Once I am here on the peninsula I don't travel much except to go fishing, but getting from home to Wa I pass through a lot f states most of which accept my CCW, but it is a problem for me with both Wa and OR. It is a chance I have to take as I will ot leave mine at home.

But your post definately brings to mind the actions and consequences we face under difficult circumstances.

Hope everyone takes time to read and think about your situation as it affects us all at one time or another.

UF

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.