Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Held one once. Kinda liked it. How many rounds have you had through yours, and how does it shoot?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Sweet revolver, wish I had one.

.44 Specials don't have that much recoil.

I'd rather shoot 5 rounds of .44 Special thru that revolver than 5 rounds of .357 mag thru one of the S&W 5 shot snubbies!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an older model Charter Arms Bulldog, 3", in Stainless Steel. I have fired a few rounds through it, maybe a few boxes of lead bullets, shoots fine, and is accurate. I have also ran a few hundred rounds through my old Ruger Super Blackhawk, since the local indoor range doesn't allow Magnum rounds anymore. I kind alike the .44 Special rounds.

The biggest problem I have had is finding a suitable holster. They all seem to be made for the 2 and 2-1/2" Bulldogs.

If you look into a set of Pachmayr grips, I'd recommend the Compact ones, they interfere with a speed loader the least, you can still reload. With the full size grips, the speed loader doesn't line up with the cylinder due to the rubber on left side of the grips. Never used a "speed strip" but I hear they work well for relaods.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Roger on that,
I have had for years now. Totally restored it. I agree...with a proper grip system..one does not feel a whole bunch recoil. It is a lot of fun to shoot and accurate at reasonable distances. Good back up weapon or for a CCW piece.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just read an October issue of i think guns and ammo. Patrick Sweeny the notable gunsmith has a segment in magazine. He now doubles as an author.

He mentioned that these were very good guns, reasonably priced. Years ago he had a hard time finding parts for them. So he stopped working on them. They were out of bussiness on again off again.

Now there back, and making those same guns and going strong. $350.00 a great gun for the money (Bulldog) model.

Take care, Jack

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just adding in something about Holsters for the Charter Arms 3" Bulldogs.. Don Hume says they are the same as a Ruger Sp101 3 1/16" for holster sizing. So, I ordered a holster for the Ruger SP101 as they suggested.. it fits just fine.... I now have 2 Don Hume holsters, one IWB and one OWB.. cool... :wink:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good for you Wizard, Now you just have to get an sp101 or another charter and do the N.Y reload (carry both)

sounds funny but i done this, when working the range job. I use to open the range at 10am, sometimes at 8am. I will stay open 7 days a week till 10pm. Sometimes a little later on weekends.
Range was in the basement under 5 stores. We had the whole basement. Stores will close by 5pm, i was working by myself after around 4pm during the weekdays. I would releave my boss, then stay the rest of the nite. On weekends boss didnt work, so i was alone then also.

You had to walk down 2 sets of stairs to get to the range. I had cameras that gave me the survalance, with video recording that we set up daily. A monitor was set near the cash register, buzzer at the door.

I had two pistols on each hip, thinking if god forbid more than one person runs down those stairs. I use to practise every day, shooting both guns at point, at the large Thug target. Which i just heard on the news radio was just retired. Replaced with a Mr. Clean looking guy, and i think they said an alien looking figure.

Sometimes, i would feel a little paranoid but in time, i got use to thinking that this would not really be the ideal place to rob. Although at first you may think that it would.

here on Long Island there isnt many places to shoot first of.Most of the time someone within an hour will show up to use the range. We often had law inforcement coming and going practising for thier upcoming qualifications. I became a marketing genious and didnt hold anyone to the 10 dollar an hour rule. We in turn moved more ammo off the shelf.

if you bought a new gun from us for a yearly fee of $125.00 we had an unlimmited membership. You came as often as you want to shoot. We had a whole case of handguns that we would rent to a legedimate pistol permit holder for 6 dollars an hour, which we never really enforced as far as the hour issue.

there were 22 rifles as well as a few 9mm hipoints to rent for 6 dollars also. With all this i was the nicest counter guy you will ever meet. I would go out of my way to make the customers feel welcome. We had pistol clubs with special discount memberships, scheduled all week long. Youth 22 leagues, gun cleaning services that the boss will do during the day as well as gunsmithing.

We had people driving out to our range from NYC and its 5 burroughs to shoot there. as it is almost impossible to get a pistol permit in the city, never mind finding an indoor range.

I tell you this was one of the most rewarding and fun jobs i ever had. I got paid to shoot for free. And i cant begin to tell you all the great people i met along the way. Sadly the doors closed 2 winters back for a number of reasons, boss retiring along with landlord not wanting to renew the lease, insurance rates etc... Typical N.y burocracy garbage.

Since then i invision myself opening up a gun store/range in the future one day. If i ever came into money (not likely) i will love to open up a bussiness like this.

Not here in N.y, and Long Island is way to expensive. amoung other things. Down South maybe? I only hope this great country of ours keeps our shooting sports alive and well for years to come.

Any way, i will stop rambling now, i want to do some reloading and try to shoot some this weekend.

Go easy, take care, Jack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.