Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking up IPSC and need to choose between the following guns:

cz 75 SP-01
Glock 17
H&K USP
Beretta 92FS

I will be shooting production 9mm and am in Australia, so mag capacity is not an issue, capped at 10 here, and use outside of the range is not an issue, since we have a totalitarian government.

I am also not lucky enough to be able to try these guns at my club since it is very small and literally EVERYBODY shooting production 9mm shoots a Glock 17 or a gun I'm not interested in, I am training there with a CZ clone called a Bruno Alpha, I prefer it to the glock, but they're pretty similar. The only other guns I have used are an STI racegun and a HS200, I didn't care much for etiher.

One more thing, I want to be able to hit the slide release with my thumb, something I can do on the Glock, but not on the Bruno Alpha for some reason.

Please include detailed accounts of your use of these guns as well as your recommendation since its the closest thing i'll have to using it. Assume also money is no object.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This opinion is only worth about two cents. But, here goes. I've only borrowed the Beretta and the USP from friends and shot a couple of clips through each of them. To me, the Beretta trigger was a little loose. The HK USP seemed like an ergonomically perfect pistol. The USP also seemed a bit more accurate. I think the USP is made to tighter tolerances and the Beretta is made to tolerate serious abuse in military service.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Glock 17, without hesitation or reservation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Glocks are popular for a reason. They are reasonably accurate, reliable, and the price won't break the budget.

I've owned several Glocks over the years and always recommend them. I've never owned the G17, but I currently own the G19, G26 in 9mm and the G21sf and G36 in 45. I have shot the G17 quite a bit and if I were taking up IPSC it would be my choice.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
The CZ is becoming VERY popular on the IPSC ranges. A couple of members of the U.S. Army Shooting team are currently using CZ's.

You have a difficult decision. Both the Glock or CZ are quality pistols. Good luck.

·
Registered
62 Posts
All the weapons in question are fine, quality firearms and all the reasons presented to support their selection are valid. I second each one, but you should select the Glock 17 for two primary reasons.... reliability and simplicity of operation..! It is basically a "point and shoot" weapon. No safeties, buttons or levers to engage to get it into action. Since you will be competing on a time and accuracy basis, both these components are vital. Just ask Dave Sevigny..!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I own all the pistols that you mentioned. The CZ-75 is my all around favorite of the bunch. My HK-USP shoots fantastic and is probably one of the most accurate pistols I have ever owned, but my CZ is real close. I feel the glock is more of a combat or police pistol than a competion pistol. You can't go wrong with any of the guns you mentioned, but I prefer the CZ.

When are you people going to kick out your communist govt. and rejoin the democricies of the world?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well I believe in everyone using what they have confidence in. If you don't have confidence in your weapon you are handicapped from the beginning. After saying all of that I carry a Beretta 96. I know you are asking about a 92 but they are basicly the same weapon. Two weeks ago I was involved in a shootout. I was patroling a local river checking boat landing for illegal hunting and other activities. I was in my boat with my K9 partner and we were fired on from above a closed boatramp. I was caught in the open and I had to return fire, I fired several shots into their pick up truck and they sped off. I nor my K9 were hit. Being in the river and boat are tough on any weapon, I trust the Beretta.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a few friends on the state highway patrol in Ohio. A few years ago they adopted the Beretta 96 as their standard weapon. When one of my friends got his pistol, he asked me if I wanted to go to the range with him while he got familiar with it. In the first 200 rounds he had 4 malfunctions. To me that is not acceptable for a weapon that I have to trust my life to. I had just gotten a Glock 22 in 40 cal. and I have never had a malfunction with it. I asked him what he thought abought the Beretta and he said he didn't have a choice so he would just carry a good backup. Evidently the patrol had a lot of complaints. They only kept the Beretta 4 or 5 years. It was the shortest period for any service weapon in Ohio. They traded them for Sigs. Sigs are probably one of the best service pistols made.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have heard of problems with 92's and 96's before. Like most things mass produced you have all levels of quality. I have up graded several parts on my pistol. I have never had any problems with this pistol. Twice I had problems which truned out to be after market magazines. I destroyed these and bought 6 eleven shot Beretta magazines. I like the open action just in case I do have a problem it will be much easier to clear the weapon. To me the most important thing in carrying a weapon is having full faith and confidence in it. If you ever loose this you better get something else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a CZ P-01 as my concealed. I have put about 5000 rounds of white box through it without a single problem. Very dependable pistol!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I dont shoot IPSC, but i did once for my action range qual. however, i used my GP100 and was the only guy there with a revolver. I didnt do bad either.

IAC, i have the G17, B92F and many CZs.

I had to install an extened slide release on G17 in order to operate it. for me it was too shallow and the faux grooves didnt do much. i dont shoot my G17 as well as my other guns.

the B92F i left alone. same for the CZs.

i think that any of the ones you have listed are a good choice. currently i like my CZs. But that will vary with what im shooting and what i want to shoot.

since "hitting the slide relase" is subjective to everyone, i would strongly suggest finding or if possible handling those guns you seek so that you wont buy a gun where you thumb cant reach.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts