Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Model 29-3 that I just had the idea of having it converted to 45Colt. I know this has been done before .
Does anyone have an idea the present day cost of having
this job done. I saw one several years ago and passed up
buying it. Old story, day late and a $ short. It is the 8 3/8
barrel and would like to have it finished to about 5 or 5 1/2
inchs.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you have a Model 29 in decent shape, most folks would consider it a criminal act to convert it..... me among them. If said M29 is in really sad shape, then go ahead.

Since the .45 LC has a larger diameter case, the cylinder would need to be bored, leaving you with thinner walls, most likely precluding the opportunity to shoot the hot .45 loads. You have just restricted yourself to a lower power load than what you had before. You could have the gun proofed, but that would likely be quite expensive (as would the caliber conversion).

If you really want a .45 LC, buy a Ruger Single Action and sell the 29.... you'll be money ahead (lots of money).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wwb,, Thanks for your response. I agree with you 100%. My main reason for asking the question is to see what a Gun Smith
capable of doing this type of work would charge to do that conversion.
As a retired toolroom machinist I realize the amount of machining required.
As for the Ruger single action 45 colt, that gun has been at the top of my next buy list ever since I bought the BH 357 convertable. That would make a trio along with my Single Six conv.

PS Whats the average going hourly rate that qualified
gunsmiths are charging now days.?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts