Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a dumb question for you 22 owners but I'm going to ask anyway. Just bought a Browning Buckmark 22 pistol and really enjoy shooting it. Bought me a a little 22 cleaning package from Outer's to clean it with. The scrubber will fit down the barrel with the rod but the little black thing that holds the patch is too big to go down the barrel. How do you clean the barrel with a patch?

Toyman

·
Registered
149 Posts
usually the cleaning kits will come with various jags to use.

there is usually a slotted one to THREAD the patch thru and there are other jags that are pointed somewhat to PUSH the patch thru.

you should have at least one if not both of the jags for the patch. If not, it could be someone swapped parts or stole parts out of your kit.

btw, you can usually buy separate jags for you kit too. if you dont have a patch jag, i would go back to where you bought your kit and get a jag(s) for it. i would bring the cleaning rod portion so that you can verify the jag will fit. for some reason, there are 2 different thread sizes for the cleaning accessories.

better yet, if you dont have a jag, take the kit back and let them see what you got with it. im thinking you didnt get a 22LR kit, but some CF kit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me ask this: Does a 22 and a 22 LR have a different size muzzle? If so, I bought a kit that said 22, 38 and 45 (also have a 38 special) and none of the slotted ones will fit all the way into the barrel of the Buckmark.

I guess what I need to do it to find is to just find ones that are made for a 22 LR pistol? By the way what do you think of the boresnake for a pistol?

Thanks
Toyman

·
Registered
52 Posts
Boresnakes work great for Pistols and Shotguns, as well as any .22LR rifle. Above that, you start to get real metal fouling, you need a brush, patch, jag and solvent to do it, none of which you can get in a boresnake.

SS

·
Registered
149 Posts
Toyman said:
Let me ask this: Does a 22 and a 22 LR have a different size muzzle? If so, I bought a kit that said 22, 38 and 45 (also have a 38 special) and none of the slotted ones will fit all the way into the barrel of the Buckmark.

I guess what I need to do it to find is to just find ones that are made for a 22 LR pistol? By the way what do you think of the boresnake for a pistol?

Thanks
Toyman
as i stated. sometimes those jags go missing or they left them out. i could be missing. as i said, i would go back to the store and bring the whole kit back w/you so you can show them what you have. if there is something missing, they will know and be able to get you what you need.

one thougth tho. if your patch is too large, it will interfere with the jag.

the 22LR jag should easily fit down the barrel w/o a patch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the parts of the kit and put with my shotgun cleaning stuff and threw away the package. The jag will fit the barrel until the threaded area gets to the barrel then it will not go in. There are several small jags with the same problem. Just thought maybe I could buy a single small jag that I could put a patch through.

Thanks

Toyman

·
Registered
149 Posts
Toyman said:
I took the parts of the kit and put with my shotgun cleaning stuff and threw away the package. The jag will fit the barrel until the threaded area gets to the barrel then it will not go in. There are several small jags with the same problem. Just thought maybe I could buy a single small jag that I could put a patch through.

Thanks

Toyman

you can still buy separate jags for your gun. just be aware that there are 2 different threads. you may have to get 2 different jags to get one that fits. as i stated, i would take you cleaning rod down there and see what fits.

·
Registered
175 Posts
To answer your question, all 22s are the same bore size and that includes the 22 short, long, long rifle, 223, 222, 22-250 etc. They are all .224 dia. so the cleaning rod for one will or should work for all.
If your jag fits to the threads and then stops there is something wrong with the jags I think and as stated, either tke it back or get another kit.
Usually getting combination kits can cause some problems so for my own use, I but the "pro shot" three piece rifle rods and then buy the jags and brushes and mops for the specific bore sizes. I clean all of my rifles and shotguns as well as my pistols using the same 22 caliber rods and the appropriate devices screwed onto the end.

I have never experienced a problem with this situation and it has saved me a lot of money over these last 60 plus years.

I have an old fishing tackle box that contains all of my cleaning necessities and whenever I go shooting regardless of where it may be, the kit goes with. It also contains spare parts, grips, springs etc. for emergency repairs.
I suspect if you are a shooter and plan to keep building your arsenal, you too will find something like this to make your activities easier and more fun.

Hope this helps.

Unclefudd

·
Registered
1 Posts
go to a gun shop and get a bore snake ,its a long peice of material that has brush fibers in it at 1 point and a smaller string with wieghted end take the cyclender out ,add some bore cleanr to the snake ,put wieghted end down barrel get aold of it and pull it through 1 pass dos the trick in most cases.if you dont know how to take the cyclender out take it to a good gun shop they should beable to show you

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
My suggestion?

Get yourself a 6 inch long, 22LR, Dewey stainless steel rod with an 8/32 threaded female tip, AND an included 22LR slotted tip. (Get the plastic storage tube, too.)

Add two of Dewey's, 'no harm' brushes and a slotted tip. You're, now, set for cleaning 22 pistols with 6 inch, or shorter, barrels for the rest of your life.

I've been cleaning guns for more than 50 years. This is the right way to clean any 22 pistol. For a bore cleaner I prefer to use either Flitz Metal Polish, or Iosso Bore Cleaning Paste.

Any good CLP product like Weapon Shield, or even Safariland Break Free will also work well. (If you use a CLP gun cleaner it's always best to let the bore soak in this stuff for, at least, 3 or 4 hours.)

Bore Snakes are a pain to use. You'll never get a bore really clean with a snake; and snakes have the negative result of transferring gun crud from the bore to every place else (like your range bag and washing machine).

I suggest that you always wear either latex or Nitrile gloves while you're cleaning your guns. I buy mine in 100 count boxes. A final step I take is to protect the OUTSIDE of my guns with FrogLube. It's a much better exterior coating than Carnauba auto polish.

If you want to go the single gun cleaner route then you could use FrogLube exclusively. I don't; but this is simply because I've got, at least, a year's worth of petroleum-based cleaners already on hand, and I prefer to coat my bores with Sentry Solution's, 'Smooth-Kote' passivate molybdenum-disulfide bore treatment.

Succinctly stated: Bore Snakes suck, cable cleaning kits are acceptable for field use, and a high quality one piece rod is (and always has been) the one best gun cleaning tool to use. On larger centerfire bores you can lose the slotted tip, and simply wrap your cotton patches around the brush head in order to get a really fast, 'n thorough bore cleaning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts