Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just bought my first pistol, a Ruger p89 9mm. I love the gun and it shoots very well. I have owned the Ruger for about a month and have put about 400 rounds through it.

I would like to know the best way to clean the gun without having to disassemble it.

I have no information at all on taking the gun apart. And from what I have read, opinions differ on the difficulty level of field stripping and reassembly. So I would like to by pass it if at all possible.

If field stripping is a must, does anyone know where I can find detailed instructions? Thanks.

Geoff Kuhn

·
Registered
606 Posts
You can call or write Ruger, and they'll send you an owner's manual. Or, you can download one in .pdf format from their website.

You need to be specific on your model.... whether it's a DC or a DAO or a whatever. I'm not up on the Ruger autoloaders and what configurations they came in. I do know that, pretty much like all the other bottom feeders, they're very simple to strip down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I own the P89 DC. The reason for all the questioning is because I just wanted to know if I HAD to strip the gun to clean and oil it to keep it functioning effectively. I also know it is recommended.

This is my first pistol and I do enjoy shooting it and want to keep it in the best functioning order I can.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Rugerfan40,

Yes, you need to field strip any weapon to properly clean and lubricate it and to keep it functioning properly and Safely.

You can get a gun snake to clean it temporarily in between a thorough cleaning, but do not rely on this as a thorough cleaning itself. To do that, (thorough cleaning) you Must field strip your p89dc.

To make it easy for you, here is a link to the Manual which you can download or print it to keep for future reference.

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/Instr ... als/03.pdf

Scroll down to page 15 for the "TO DISASSEMBLE" part, and follow the instructions.

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts