Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question in the GUN ID AND VALUES message board, but i thought you guys may have more knowledge on this. Im looking at a 1911 marked RECON on the side. I've only seen pictures on the net. It has a 4.5 in. barrel and is nickel plated. I've tried to look it up the Blue Book of Guns but i can't find it. The guy says it has a low serial number, but he didn't say exactly what was. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
606 Posts
First.... is it a genuine Colt? If so, I'm pretty certain a nickle finish isn't factory. Could it be polished stainless instead? I don't believe stainless was available until the series 70..... and that sure doesn't go along with a "low serial number".

"RECON" sounds like something someone had engraved on it.

a "4.5 in barrel" is also a bastard. The government model was 5", and the short barrel version (commander) was 4"

All in all, it sounds like something I'd walk away from and never look back.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Can't tell anything from the pictures. You need to look at it in person.... and bring along somebody who knows what they're doing when it comes to a 1911. Also, his asking price is ridiculous.... $800 is on the high end of what I'd expect to pay for a 95% Gold Cup.

If you don't have a handy expert along, you have 2 choices.

1) Forget it.... this still sounds strange, and, based on his comments in the ad, the guy selling it is clueless.

2) Buy it with the option to return it after it has been looked at by a gunsmith if he determines that it's not worth what you paid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I think i'll leave it alone. I've been wanting a 1911 forever, but i don't want to get ripped off just to get one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts