Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Information on the "strength" of the big Colt is hard to come by. Anybody have any opinion or factual information on comparing the Anaconda vs the Ruger Blackhawk and Redhawk? I've got a Stainless Blackhawk as well as the colt, just wondering about using + loads in the Colt like I do in the Ruger. All the load books give + data for Ruger and T/C or modern manufactured firearm in good condition, nothing specifically about the Anaconda.

BP

·
Registered
149 Posts
personally i have no use for +P or any variation there of for those rounds. i enjoy having my guns around and plan to for a long time.

i havent heard or read anywhere about issues with +p rounds and colts.

to me, why do you need a +P 44 round? isnt a standared 44 good enough?

also, the way i see it, im sure the modern guns can handle SOME +P rounds, but i wouldnt make a steady diet of it. of course its your guns and you can do as you please.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If I read this right this +P load is for a 45Colt and not a 44mag handgun.There are quite a few times when a +P load could be used in a 45Colt chambered revolver.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The reason why they don't mention Anacondas in their data is because they don't make them anymore. The .44 mag. has a higher pressure that a .45 Colt loaded to equal specs. However, I really don't know about some of these loads that try to equal a .454. The hot Corbon loads would be fine in the Colt, but I'd call Buffalo Bore and Grizzly before I'd try their stuff.

But again, why?

If you want a good hunting load at standard pressure, try Reed's Ammo.
http://shop.reedsammo.com/category.sc?categoryId=160
He's got a 185-gr Golden Saber HP at 1150 fps, $33 per box of 50.
A 250-gr Hornady XTP ($34) and a 255-gr LSWC, ($25.52) both at the classic velocity of 850 fps, either of which will drop a deer on his butt w/o trouble.

Sure you can go hotter, but your gun is probably worth $1000 (or more) now if in good shape. Why screw it up?

I've got a S&W 25-10 (like my avatar) that's not as strong as your gun, and I love his stuff. Would hunt with it anytime. Can't stand to shoot that wimpy Cowboy crap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts