PistolWorld.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These pics are also on another thread I started but I wanted to get it into the Colt section too. I'm going to the range Thursday to try it out. I'm curious to see the difference between .38 and .357 in this gun. I've never shot .357 before but do have some experience with a .44magnum.

This info was courtesy of ssnell.
ssnell said:
From my blue book, twenty-first edition.
Border patrol (second issue) .357 mag 4 in heavy barrel, similar to Trooper MarkIII frame, less polishing to frame, limited mfg, 1970-75
Blue finish- 5356 mfg
Price range 98%-95% 475.00-375.00

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know where I can get replacement grips for it? Colt apparently doesn't want to discuss this gun.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nice pistol.

Try a gun show for grip replacements. There are usually several booths with plenty of selection.

What reason did you gather for Colt's stand off attitude? Please describe your conversation.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't try to contact Colt myself but the guy who sold it to me did. They didn't provide him with any information. He did however, find a small part in the November 1986 issue of American Rifleman on the Border Patrol. Apparently some were shipped to a company in California and were mistakenly sold for $99. At the end of the article it said that colt wasn't talking about the pistol. I'm debating giving them a call but since Colt doesn't offer accessories it would be a waste of time either way. I'll have a range report on the BP soon. I'm shooting thursday and friday! :D I'll also see if I can get a copy of that article for posting.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally got to shoot my new gun! I've never shot a SA/DA revolver before and this one was a real treat at the range. The accuracy is far better than anything I'm capable of and the trigger is better than any handgun I've ever shot. The .38 specials felt weak after alternating with .357s. The recoil with .38 was barely noticable, producing the best rapid fire accuracy, and the .357 gave a nice stout snap. My aim in DA shooting was about 3 inches right and I noticed the gun was moving in my hand while I pulled the trigger. I think I need more practice in DA or maybe I need to change my grip a bit. Overall it was a great experience and I plan on shooting it again tomorrow.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not yet, I'm very happy with the original grips, its just that I want to keep them in their current condition if possible. Not really a big deal in the long run.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a second Issue Colt Border Patrol nickel plated 357 Mag. Serial number J8XXXX I was wondering what is it worth? And is it a J fame so I can get some different grips. :?:

·
Registered
606 Posts
K9 CAJUN said:
......And is it a J fame so I can get some different grips......
Don't confuse it with a Smith & Wesson "J-Frame"..... it's a Colt J-frame, which is a whole 'nother animal. Grips for a Colt Trooper Mark III will fit, but that's about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fuelburns2 said:
These pics are also on another thread I started but I wanted to get it into the Colt section too. I'm going to the range Thursday to try it out. I'm curious to see the difference between .38 and .357 in this gun. I've never shot .357 before but do have some experience with a .44magnum.

This info was courtesy of ssnell.
ssnell said:
From my blue book, twenty-first edition.
Border patrol (second issue) .357 mag 4 in heavy barrel, similar to Trooper MarkIII frame, less polishing to frame, limited mfg, 1970-75
Blue finish- 5356 mfg
Price range 98%-95% 475.00-375.00

sssssir colt is the best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts