Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any opions of the colt cowboy 45 LC. I don`t think they make them anymore but not sure. The gun buying bug hit me and I brought one at a local pawm shop for 600 buck. It has diamond cut wood grips with the gold colt horse in them. I haven`t see these type of grips on a colt cowboy. Any opions or info on this type of colt?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Without digging in my Blue Book, which isn't handy at the time, I've no recollection of ever having heard of a "Colt Cowboy".

Are you perhaps referring to the Colt Single Action Army?

If it's a SAA, even a junker at $600 is a steal... you can part it out for more than that.

Read all the stampings on the frame and barrel and report back with what you find. The grips are cheap, and can be switched in a minute, so don't rely on them to tell you anything about the brand of revolver.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It`s a SA 45. On top of barrell reads COLT`S PT.F.A.MGF HARTSFORD, CONN. I beleive I read were they starting making them in 1998 for cowboy shooting. Was wondering how they hold their value, ect.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Colt Cowboy had about a 4 year run. I read about it at the beginning and it seems Colt changed the design dimensions just enough so some parts would not interchange with the 3rd generation guns.

I think it had an $800 MSRP or there-abouts and was made off-shore. I can't help you on the grips. For NIB condition, $600, down to about $350 at 60%. Nothing like what a SAA would demand.

Colt's idea was to appeal to the SASS crowd and put a Colt in their hands to shoot without them having to shell out several hundred more dollars for a SAA. But Colt hedged their bets by tweaking their dimensions so people wanting a real SAA wouldn't be tempted to settle for the Cowboy. In spite of that, I'm sure some people bought one thinking it was, in fact, a SAA.

Like Colt selling their black powder gun rights, this was another corporate brain fart, doing nothing for the bottom line as well as confusing the gun buying public.

·
Registered
606 Posts
As I recall from an article in one of the shooting rags, the hands-down favorite revolver in cowboy Action is the Ruger Vaquero in .38/.357. The Vaquero was also very popular in .45 LC.

Next up were the various Italian SAA clones. Only the well-heeled shot the genuine SAA.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The Colt Cowbay was a bad idea. Colt decided to build a version of the Ruger SA revolver, that is a single action with a transfer bar and not the old SAA hammer mounted firing pin. They wanted a gun that could be carried safely loaded in all 6 chambers. Unfortunately, they had allowed Ruger to get about a 40 year head start on this idea, and Colt's version was not nearly as well made as any of the competition. It was also priced like a lower end Colt. It lasted for about 4 years and was discontinued. I have read a lot of CAS shooters opinions on the Colt Cowboy revolver, and very few of them were good.

If you bought a used Cowbay for $600, and it is in great condition and shoots well, the price was not out of line. They were priced very high to begin with, and some people think they are going to be collectable someday because they are marked "COLT".

If you bought an actual Colt SAA for $600 (the hammer mounted firing pin) you paid about half the going rate for it if it is in in even reasonably good condition.

Either way, I hope it is a good shooter and that you enjoy it.

mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts