Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i AM LOOKING FOR INFO ON AN COLT AR15 FULLY AUTO THAT MY DAD LEFT ME IN HIS WILL. WHERE CAN I FIND SOME HISTORY ON THIS COLT? i THINK IT COULD BE SOME OF THE FIRST PRODUCED FOR THE AIRFORCE BY CURTIS LEMAY.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have you tried doing a web search using "Google" or another search engine? Try posting at http://ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=123

If the weapon in question, is in fact, capable of fully automatic fire (one pull of the trigger and the weapon keeps firiing until out of ammunition), and is not on the National Firearms Act Registry, you have a big problem.

If it is on the NFA Registry, there are procedures that must be followed for it to be transferred to you.

I would suggest you read this article http://ar15.com/content/legal/nfaFAQ.html
especially the section titled Tax Exemptions

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This Colt is indeed full auto if you move the selector switch to that position. Also I have the proper paper work with tax stamp from ATF. There is no problem with the legal ownership of this AR15. I have just never seen an AR 15 that had full auto capability and am looking for any history on this rifle.

·
Registered
606 Posts
All the Vietnam-era military M-16s were capable of fully autiomatic fire. More recently, they have gone to a 3-round burst rather than "rock 'n' roll". Don't know when the change took place.

·
Registered
112 Posts
wwb, made an important distinction, if it's fully auto, it's not an AR-15. While provisions exist for civilians to own automatic weapons, since the Firearm's Owners Protection Act of 1986, these have been largely limited to those manufactured prior to the date of the NFA (1934); hence the clubs whose members shoot Thompsons, BARs, and the like. Those who have access to modern automatic weapons, are themselves, Class III dealers. I think you have a problem. I also think you should be careful about who you tell about your possession of this firearm, otherwise, you may be awakened in your sleep by an ATF SWAT team.

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcfullau.html

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Prior to 1986, a person could have paid the $200.00 tax and then convert their AR-15 to fire full auto.

You would have a Colt marked AR-15 with M-16 internals. Many people did this.

I have seen one AR-15 marked Colt that was full auto. The owner stated it was not a conversion job, but a factory direct Colt.

So yes, there are Colt marked AR-15 machine guns that are fully transferable out there. They start out in price at around $13,000.00 and go up from there.

G

·
Uh... well I'm outta here. I hear the destinct sound of choppers coming just over the horizon.

Tin foil hat now fully deployed...

·
Registered
178 Posts
A1=full auto
A2=3rnd burst (though some made for export were auto)
AR15 auto= conversion or SP1 on registered receiver

If the AR has not been registered in your name you should fill out a form 4 for the AR and get it to the ATF ASAP. If you have any further question regarding the legal way to transfer after the death of the registered owner fax or mail a letter to the ATF requesting procedural clarification.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts