Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past 15 months about a dozen of my coworkers and their families have applied for their Concealed Carry through various states. The biggest concern that deters the military personel I have talked to about getting their permits is wondering if they can continue to carry when they get transfered or when they ETS and return to their home state. The best thing I can tell them is to do their homework. I used to reccomend packing.org and handgunlaw.us I also tell them to get in contact with the local law enforcement to find out what they can and can't do. If you live ONPOST then talk to the base Provost Marshal. Its bad that a soldier's wife waited to get her permit until her husband deployed and she was under the presumption she was being stalked by someone who followed her through the streets of Fayetteville and the way to Raliegh. I think I forgot to mention she had to kids in the car.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree. Do your homework and don't wait. I've used both the web sites you mentioned. Every state is different and some have different requirements for for residents and non-residents.

In PA is very easy to get your concealed weapons permit. (Pay a small fee - less than $30 I think - and go through a back ground check at the sheriff's office). I know states have different requirements and are harder to obtain than others, but I wouldn't let that deter me. If you can't carry when you get transfered - then apply again.

G

·
In Florida, we have a State Constitutional right to carry a concealed weapon. IF you pass the background check, the State MUST issue the permit. Unlike many States, there is no "reason for the request" on the permit application. The State only wants to know if you have been convicted or a violent crime. Another cool thing is if you are the perpetrator of domestic abuse, you don't get a permit, and if you have one, it's revoked. Even for police officers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The carrying of a personal handgun aboard a military base is strictly forbidden. It is against the post regulations on every post I have been on to even have a personal handgun in your home or car aboard base. I spent thirty years active duty in the USMC and shot on base pistol teams for a good many of those years. My personally owned match grade 1911's had to be stored at and checked out of the unit armory for competitions. I just spoke to a PMO at the Smyrna Training Center (TNANG) and he informed me that is still standard on all bases.

It sounds strange, but Active Duty Military personnel are under the strictest gun controls of all! Bases are NO GUN zones (military issue while on duty only! )

I know that many people believe otherwise, but basically most of them are just "forgetting" to register their weapons with PMO (yes that is required by regulations!)

My current State Guard unit (TNSG - part of the Military Department of Tennessee) had considered some pistol fam classes and were instructed that it was not allowed for us to bring non-issue weapons aboard base due to the above regs.

No I can't quote specific regs, but when an MP Officer tells me no I don't argue, I didn't get to E-9 by being a barracks lawyer!

What you do in town, if not in government housing, is your own business and should be in accordance with the Civilian law.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.