Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
44 mag all the way (for me anyway). All the oomph I need for hunting. Factory ammo is more widely available and priced less.

As for guns, I prefer Ruger revolvers. They make great guns for the money.

S&W also makes nice guns, not nice enough for me to pay the extra over the Rugers.

I've come within inches of buying Taurus products several times in the past, always backed out. In researching Taurus guns, it seems that about equal amounts of people get perfect models that last forever while others get lemons that spend more time in the mail than at the range. I'd rather pay a little more and get a revolver with a much lower failure rate.

Freedom Arms makes really nice revolvers, just way out of my price range. Same with Colt.

·
Registered
606 Posts
A .44 Mag and a .480 Ruger are pretty far apart in terms of power...... what do you intend to do with it?

Sad to say, but the .480 Ruger is all but dead; if you need something with that kind of whallop, you should consider the .475 Linebaugh or .454 Casull instead.

Aside from Alaskan Brown Bears or Grizzlies, the .44 Mag will be all you need.

·
Registered
297 Posts
My understanding is that the .480 isn't dead yet. Ruger is doing some reengineering on the Super Redhawk, and is supposed to bring it back. However, ya just never know.

I love my .44s, and I guess I'll stick with them. If I can't kill it with a 300-gr .44 mag, I guess I don't need to be hunting it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.