Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a pistol, but would appreciate some input on what I should consider getting.

First, I am interested in just shooting it as target practice at a local range, I have never been to one nor have I ever owned a gun but I am interested in that aspect of it, kinda think it would be challenging and maybe even a bit stress reducing - am I way off base with this? Is ammo and range time expensive?

Second, was considering it for home defense, never had a problem in past but I do own a gun safe oddly enough (estate sale big fridge type got super cheap), I just keep important papers and a few pieces of family jewelry in it now...

I am 42, as a teen i remember shooting a .38 revolver with my grandpa (way out on his 40 acre farm at a fence with stuff on it) and a 22 rifle rabbit hunting, never even got to shoot that but hanging out with grandpa for the day made it worth it :)

I have very large hands and am a big tall guy 6'6" 375 so doubt id have any trouble with recoil but would like something that fits my hand vs being too tiny. I would certainly consider taking some sort of course thru a local range to learn to properly care for and shoot the gun, are they generally inexpensive and offered often at local shops?

Nobody in my immediate family has a gun or cares to, so i am kinda alone in this idea, but I would like the challenge of some local target shooting at a range and maybe even just something in the safe at home for my own protection.

Budget like to stay under $500 if possible, type and size i am not sure of, I kinda like the idea of a revolver, seems like less to clean and maybe less to go wrong with it, but also curious if a revolver would really be the right choice for my desire to shoot targets with it?

I live in Michigan btw, I haven't contacted any stores or ranges figured I might start here and have a bit of info before I walk in somewhere and get sold more than I need or want...

Lastly what would I need to buy a pistol, I have a vaild state issued license, no criminal record of anykind etc, just wasn't sure what all I would need to get or do to even be able to own a handgun and or what I would need if I was taking a gun into a range to shoot with etc.

I know I need a lot more info and help, sorry for all the questions but
if you are still reading then thanks for your time and input.

Bill ;)

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Nothing wrong with a revolver at all. I normally recommend a revolver to first time owners.

Someone your size could easily handle a Smith & Wesson model 66 or 686. These are stainless steel revolvers. The same revolvers but with blued steel are the model 19's or the 586.

If you want fixed sights instead of adjustable sights I'd recommend the S&W model 65 or 681. Same revolver, but with blued steel is the model 13 or 581.

For $500.00 you will have to look in the used aisle for these revolvers.

These are all .357 magnum revolvers, but you can shoot .38 Special in them as well and save yourself some bucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply here,will certainly check more into those via google a bit, is it expensive to go into a range and shoot for an hour, i realize they want you to buy ammo there and you probably pay for your targets and time, but was just trying to ballpark it $ wise...

Also do some shops let you try a certain gun or two out in the range (rental or trial) to see if that might be a gun you want to buy etc?

Bill

·
Registered
585 Posts
Bill, Target Sports, on Woodward, in Royal Oak rents all kinds of guns and, if you tell them you're buying, they may let you fire a couple that you like, for free.

I'm in Grosse Pointe and had CCW a long time... I also recommend a good revolver for first timers and always recommend a .357Mag which will also fire cheap .38 special.

Shoot me a line with any questions you might have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The range I go to most often is $3 a day or $30 for the year. I used to live closer to one that cost about $10 a day or $60 for the year (I think).

If you just wanted to do range work a .22LR would be perfect, but if you have home defense in mind, I'd pick a .357 revolver. As stated in previous posts .38 Specials can also be shot in a .357 for practice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Speaking for myself, I would get a .22lr. If you prefer revolvers over autos, there are certainly .22 revolvers out there. However, it is hard to beat a .22 auto for fun. You may even get some of family out and shooting.
For target fun and home defense, you would have to look around real hard to find anything more versatile than a .357 Mag revolver. You can spend all day shooting .38 wadcutter ammunition and go home and load it with 125gn JHPs for defense.
You may want to sign up for a shooting class or even, when you go to the range, ask if they could how you the ropes and explain the rules and etiquette of the range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts