Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range this weekend with my Jericho 941 9mm and took a box of Powerball ammo with me. I like to practice at least once a year with what I keep in it for self defense. Recently switched from Golden Sabre to the Powerball cuz the Powerball is supposed to hit harder and expand faster. Anyway Out of 20 rounds I had 4 failures to fire. The hammer would drop - no bang. I would then recock the hammer, drop it, and then it would go bang. I was afraid at first it was my gun but I then ran 150 rounds of winchester white box through with no hitches. So, hard primers? I have never had a FTF before in any firearm. It grouped great when it fired and recoil was very manageable but it would really suck to pull the trigger and hear click when you need a bang! Anyone else ever had problems with Powerball ammo?

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you used Sabre's or HydraShoks all I can say is, "Sometimes newer isn't really better." I've never had a problem with Corbon... but see no reason to change my carry loads.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have not shot any Pow'Rball ammo since whoever it was first used Peter Pi's invention but it worked fine for me back then. Same for Glaser who later bought the Pow'Rball line as well as Corbon.
As for what caused the misfires, it could be any number of reasons. A look at the primer after the unsuccessful ignition might give some clues. It could be due to a harder than normal primer, the primer may not have been seated fully against the cup and reduced the energy of the firing pin by moving forward and the second strike then accomplished the task, the case length may be slightly short for much the same result, the gun may have some minor damage to the firing pin, dirt or grit may slow the firing pin on occasion causing the light strike, the oil used may have finally dried up an lost effectiveness causing the same effect as previously mentioned, the headspace may be slightly off so some ammo lots may be a little short, and I'm sure a large number of other possibilities I can't remember.
This is the reason one is told to shoot a number of rounds of a given type through one's defensive pistol and to do so again when lot numbers change. I personally would go back to a "standard" ammunition type from a major manufacturer as they have a lot of history behind them. The boutique ammunition does not bring me confidence for when the chips are down. There may be a "best and greatest" bullet out there but I'll let others play around proving it. The consequences of being wrong are too great for my liking.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: CorBonn PowerBall Failure - UPDATE

Finally got back to the range today to test out my second box of PowRBall and had the same problem. This time I had 2 fail to fire on the first strike. I had the prescence of mind this time to eject the cartridge to check the primers, and they did indeed have good looking indents on them. So now I have 6 out of 40 (15%) rounds that have failed to fire on first strike. It took two more strikes on each round to to get them to fire. After firing the PowRBall I again fired 100 rounds of Federal 115gr fmj, 25 rounds of Golden Sabre 124gr +P, and 15 rounds of Aguila IQ that I found stuffed in the back of my closet. None of the other ammos had any failures. The two boxes of PowrBall that I bought were purchased more than a year apart, one at a gun show the other from an online retailer so I doubt they were even from the same lot, I didn't think to actually check. Still could just be something as simple as hard primers or an incompatibilty with my gun. Hope this helps anyone trying to decide on a self defense round. UglyDog is correct buy a bunch of your chosen ammo and try it out to make sure it is reliable in your gun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not directly contact the manufacturer, I did have a sales rep from Corbon contact me through another forum I posted on. Asked me to send him an email, I have sent 3 to two different emails he provided but no response yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts