Pistol World Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been away for a while but I'm back.

Does anyone know of a modern, still available, double action derringer chambered for .38 Special (or a similiar caliber)?

The only one I have found is the DA38 by American Derringer, but I cannot find a dealer in my area.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked out GunsAmerica, and the only ones I saw that were new were made by Cobra, and I was under the impression that all the Cobra derringers were single-action (their .pdf manaul make me think its single action too).

I'll try GunBroker though. Thanks.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Not much into derringers and the only one I know of that is double action is the old High Standard .22 - the American appears to be a derivative of that design. If you type "derringer" into the search box at GunBroker - you'll find 197 listed. :wink:

·
Registered
45 Posts
American Derringer is the only manufacturer of double action derringers that I am aware of that is still in business..the original High Standard went out of business way back in the late 70s, early 80s..the newest incarnations of that company have not made that model

btw the American Derringer is available in .40 S&W caliber :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
They don't make them anymore, but you can still find the High Standard Double action derringer in .22 long rifle and .22mag. I used to have a .22 long rifle, but let it get away, a few years back. However, I recently purchased a .22 mag that showed up at a local gunshop a few days ago.

In a derringer, I can whole heartedly recomend the little High Standard, .22 mag. It is pretty compact, can be shot well with a little practice and the .22 mag does pack a bit of a wallop, of course it is loud, but maybe that isn't all that bad either. The barrels usually print a couple of inches apart, My bottom barrel is dead on, after I got a little used to it. the top barrel is 2 inches higher. I time my gun to shoot the bottom barrel first, and I was shooting it tonight and I am not kidding, I was able to shoot 1 inch groups with it at about 4 to 5 yards. Of course I had two different groups with one being 2 inches higher then the other, while using the same aiming point.

It is eaiser to shoot then those mini-revolvers, for sure, and to be honest, the bigger caliber derringers are often harded to shoot accurately, and they get too big for what they are pretty quick.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts