Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two .45 cal automatics (a Glock and Kimber 1911) before I bought my first revolver: a Ruger SP101. I love the gun and though I'm not intending to get rid of the autos I prefer the revolver.

My questions are this. I am looking to buy another revolver and am looking at (reading about) either a single action or a double action. More specifically either a Blackhawk in either a .357 or 45 Colt; or a GP100 in either a 4" or 6" barrel. What are your thoughts?? Also what length barrel on the Blackhawk and which caliber?? I intend to use my SP101 as a personal defense gun so size of the new gun is not a primary factor.

I have read other posts to the effect that Single Action revelovers are addictive. Why is this more so than Double Actions??

Thank you,

I will stand aside for the comments.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Having never shot a DA, I can't really say, but my Single Six is very fun to shoot. I think it pulls on my "inner cowboy", as my wife calls it. I won't soon give up my Mark III 22/45, but the Single Six just has something about it that draws me in.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is sort of a hard question to answer, but I think it is the cowboy in some of us, a problem caused by growing up with John Wayne and other western hero movies. A Ruger single six was the first handgun I ever owned and over the last 50+ years I've owned several. Never been without one. Can't say that about any other style of handgun.

I love single actions because of the way they fit my hand, because of the mechanics of loading and unloading, and because I seem to hit what I aim at better than any double action or semi-auto. I have big bore guns and small bore guns and they are just fun. I have never gone in the woods with anything else. Semi's and double actions just seem like city guns. :)

p.s. I almost forgot. I think recoil is easier to handle in a SA.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Add one more to the list of Single Six lovers! Of course I have watched my share of John Wayne movies, but being the tender young age of 51, I grew up watching those "spaghetti westerns" in the late 60's starring that guy who ended up becoming the mayor of Carmel, California. What's his name??

Anyway, my wife likes the way the Single Six shoots but hates the fact that it only shoots six rounds before you have to reload and then you have to unload and reload each round one at a time. To me, that is sort of the appeal of the gun. So the last time we went to the range together she asked me, "Doesn't anyone make a semi-automatic .22?" We looked at several and read as many online reviews as we could and ended up buying a Beretta U22 Neos pistol, mainly because it looks "cool"!

I have used the old "It is easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" routine several times, but c'mon guys, how often does your wife actually tell you to go out and buy a gun? Its not very often, so when she did, I ordered it right away before she changed her mind!

Now I am happy and she is happy, which is VERY important!

Happy Shooting!
Scott

·
Registered
149 Posts
It all depends on what you want and what you want to do with the gun.

you should be asking yourself some other questions:

> purpose for this gun target/hunting or ?
> ammo prices? how much are you willing to spend on ammo? have you looked at 45LC ammo prices? if not, why? same for 357.
> gun finish: Stainless Steel or Blue
> Adjustable sights or Fixed Sights.
> have you handled any of them?

some people like the nostalgia of SAAs, some dont care. alot of the popularity is the CASS craze.

Guns are addictive in general. some may have more addictive powers then others again, it will depend on your likes.

if you want to hunt with the gun, a longer barrel may be to your liking.

if you want to carry this gun (hking or?) then a shorter barrel maybe to your liking.

If youre just going to punch holes in paper then, anything will do.

some people like the RBH since some of them were convertables. IE. 45acp/45LC or 10mm/40&W.

SA or SA/DA. its up to you.

to me, there are some unanswered questions in order to answer your questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts