Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posed this question on the Ruger group and so far haven't got a response. Maybe you'll can help me out.

I am looking to buy my next revolver and am undecided whether to get a single action or stick with another double action. I have heard that single actions are addictive - How so??? More so than double actions or automatics??

Thanks,

Norm,

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I suppose it depends on the intended purpose for the gun. If it were to be for target shooting or just playing around the single action would be fine. However if it is to be a defense weapon I would definitely go with the double action.

I have both and this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be for general target shooting and recreational pursuits. I have a Ruger SP101 for my "carry gun" and a Glock 21 and a Kimber 1911 in automatics.

I have heard comments online to the effect that a SA should be the next step. I just wonder what is the mystic about them. I played "cowboys and indians" as a kid like everybody else, and I still enjoy Louis L'Amour novels,.....but??? Is that the only reason for a SA??

Just asking,

Norm,

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Re: re: DA or SA??

Norman Ralph said:
I have heard comments online to the effect that a SA should be the next step. I just wonder what is the mystic about them. I played "cowboys and indians" as a kid like everybody else, and I still enjoy Louis L'Amour novels,.....but??? Is that the only reason for a SA??

Just asking,

Norm,
In a word...Yes, for me that is.

I own a Ruger Vaquero in stainless with ivory (imitation) grips and a Triple K black quick draw rig. Why you ask, because I wanted it, just for fun. Its a great toy that is a blast to shoot.

I hope this helps, if you really want one it will. :wink:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I say - Go for it. You got yourself covered in the ccw/hd dept so why not get something different?

·
Registered
640 Posts
A single action is not a "next step" but just a different path to walk down. I have a couple of Vaqueros for Cowboy Action Shooting, a Single Six, and several vintage SA handguns but am not any more (or less) enthralled with them than any other handgun I have. They have a purpose which I find enjoyable but are just as easily filled with other guns.
Of all the various handgun actions, if pushed I think the SA is my least favorite as it slows everything down. I don't burn through ammo as fast as I can but the constant thumbing back of the hammer in order to shoot followed by the long, tedious process of extracting empties and loading new rounds is a bit irksome to me at times. I like it for hunting but for plinking I prefer a double action most of the time. That said, my most carried walk about gun is the Single Six with the 22 WMR cylinder installed. That combo is much more effective on raccoons, feral cats, and other pests the dogs turn up on our walks than a 22 LR and much quieter than the XD-40.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Norman Ralph said:
I posed this question on the Ruger group and so far haven't got a response. Maybe you'll can help me out.

I am looking to buy my next revolver and am undecided whether to get a single action or stick with another double action. I have heard that single actions are addictive - How so??? More so than double actions or automatics??

Thanks,

Norm,
You can get seriously accurate with single-action pistols. Once they are cocked and aimed, it doesn't take much to pull the trigger. That's a real plus at the range.

But, that's also a real minus, when you are nervous, adrenalized, and trying to dial your self phone while pointing your pistol at an evil doer that you are holding for the police. :wink:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Personal decision. I would suggest you shoot a SA before committing to a purchase (if possible). They are definitely different than DA revolvers.

The main "pro" to a SA revolver (IMO) is the trigger. Short and relatively light. The "cons"; slow to reload and recoil can be rough. Other than that, it's pretty much subjective.

I do find my shooting more accurate w/ a SA. More than likely this is a product of the better trigger on the SA.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What is a "self phone" and why are you holding one in a social situation necessitating a handgun? If you have an aggressor in your vicinity a phone is the least effective weapon in your arsenal.

As for the DA/SA: BUY BOTH! :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts