Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked this up a few hours ago. It has more wear than in the pictures but it's definately a nice gun.

·
Registered
585 Posts
This is quite a find. As a rabid Model 10 fan, I can tell you that you got quite a deal on it too. Check out police-marked guns on the S&W board! Congrats, friend! :D

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to register this gun today and the officer in the lobby told me he carried one just like it when he was on the DPD. He also mentioned that officers were allowed to buy their duty guns for $50 if they wanted to keep them. I wish I had that option at that price. He thought this gun was refinished but it has some rough spots so I'm not so sure. Not that I really care. 8)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congrats on the DPD model 10.

A few years ago, I bought a DPD 4" model 64-5. What little information I could find at the time, was that when these guns were sold, they were to never comback to MI.

When I first saw the LNIB 64, and noticed the DPD markings on the back strap, I had to have it.
It was my own little thumb to eye for the DPD. At the time Detroit kept having the gun buy backs.

It's a damn fine shooter too. Just the other day, it was one of the guns used to introduce a new shooter to the sport. Today he bought his first gun, a S&W 627 NIB.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum Jason! Congratulations on creating a new shooter too. I'd love to have a model 27 but I can't bring myself to spend the money on another N frame. Something else always comes along.

A DPD 64-5 seems to be quite unusual to me. I've seen two or three model 10s including the one I bought but never a different model. I'm curious, what do you mean that they were never to return to MI? BTW those gun buybacks are a great way to get something in return for unsafe and worthless guns that you can't use sell or otherwise enjoy. :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the welcome FB.

I thought the 64-5 was weird too. I was trying to do a little research on it, and all I could find was a news article on the the DPD selling them. I can't remember now, but I think it was the Detroit Freepress.

The only way the Detroit police would sell these guns, was if they didn't come back to MI. It was either that, or destroy them.

When I saw what is said on the backstrap, I knew I had to have it.
I whipped the cash out so fast, the salesman's head started to spin. Well maybe not spin, but it was fast. :twisted:

There is a member of the S&W forum, named Frenchy. He found a DPD snub nosed model 64.

As for the new shooter.

We let him shoot a Glock 17 , the DPD 64, a real model 27, and a SA 1911.
I would have thought he would have picked an autoloader, but he loved the model 27. He was going to buy a 6" 686, but they (Silver Bullet), just sold the last one. All they had left was a 4", and he didn't want that. So he bought the 627.

P.S. I found my 64 in Barry County.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts