Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one gone as far as to document their guns in any way/form?
My insurance company has asked me to "document" all my guns in order to update the policy that I carry on my homeowners insurance to cover my firearms.
I'm looking for ideas on the best way to do this besides just a photo of each.
Thanks.

G

·
Hi,

I have gone thru each individual firearm and made a spreadsheet listing mainly the S/N's. I also have a general description of each listing: where it came from, how much paid, my best judgment of its physical condition along with any history, if applicable. That, with a good individual pictures is about it.

I do have complete, multiple copies of my documentation stored in various places. My family members will be able to locate those documents if something happens to me or should the house go down.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Take a digital photo of each.... then, in some image editing software (anything from MS Paint to Adobe Photoshop) add the make, model & serial number to each photo. Also, note the condition and any accessories (scopes, custom stocks, anything worth a few bucks).

Then, make a text file with the value and reference for each item.

Burn a CD with the text file and all the photos and give it to your insurance agent to keep in his file.... then burn another and keep it off site somewhere (safe deposit box, maybe?)

·
Registered
944 Posts
I keep an excel spreadsheet with pictures of each gun, price paid, caliber, barrel length, serial number and if applicable what I sold it for. I keep a running total of what I spent on them (gross investment) subtract what I sold and show my net investment. I also have a field to show profit/loss but that's not information for anyone else to know. :wink:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Like others, I keep pictures and descriptions of all my guns along with a list of serial numbers. I have multiple copies in several places as a precaution against loss and damage. The electronic means are much better than the Kodak pictures I used to use as they can be encrypted to prevent a casual inspection. My agent directed me to an umbrella type policy in which I only have to submit items to be replaced at the time of a claim, I do not have to send any info in before hand. I really like this as I don't worry about someone stealing this info from my agent's office and then targeting me for a future visit. I have seen instances of this happening in other places as well as info stolen off computers by hackers. It may be a small risk but if you cast enough lines out, something will find the bait.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I friend of mine, a gun dealer had a fire in October..everything was lost including his guns in a gun vault...everything in the vault either burned, blew up or was damaged by heat to the point where it was ruined...keep good records!

Cause of fire?? Rechargable battery recharging shorted out! Utility company told us that this is third fire they had from cordless tool charging stations failing....the Chinese are getting us again..if you recharge your tools, do it in the middle of your garage floor, not in the middle of a cluttered workbench like I always used to do it....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.