Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here hunt with this round? I'm interested in what you shoot and why. I'm mainly looking to practice a little cheaper with my .454 but might like to hunt deer with the .45 colt as well. Depends. Right now all I can find is lead bullets. I'd really like to find some jacketed loads that I can shoot fairly cheap. BTW I don't reload. Yet....Also have you ever experienced a loss in accuracy from using .45's in a .454? I noticed a drastic difference in where the bullets hit after my first sighting in session with it. I got the .454's dialed in at 50 yards and then switched to .45's and they hit about 6" higher on paper than the .454's. Accuracy was good, but just threw off my scope setting from the .454's. I've heard I might not get good accuracy with some loads because of the extra jump to the throat? Thanks.

·
Registered
175 Posts
CG,

Unfortunately,about the only factory loads available for the 45LC are cowboy type loads. This is because of the Colts and their clones that can't handle higher pressures. I think Corbon and Buffalo make some that have a lot more butt,but the costs may be prohibitive.

I'd suggest looking into a sinlge stage reloading kit. Having one of these can be fun! You can load 45 stuff that you can't find or load down the 454s to target loads.

HWD

·
Registered
175 Posts
OH YEAH!! Don't be tossing your brass in the trash. If ya do get into reloading, you'll want every piece back that you ever threw away.

Just an after thought....

HWD

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HWD, I'll probably take your advice in the future when I finally do get into re-loading. Yup nothin but lead on the shelves. Except for one box of personal protection ammo that had JHP's. Not what I'm wanting though. I should have remembered all this as I used to have a S&W .45 LC years ago. I was hoping something might have changed? And don't worry, I don't leave brass behind. :wink: ............Killerb, Thaaaaaank you! That's what i'm looking for. I'm going to give them a try as soon as I can. Forgive me for not looking, but can you tell what they cost for a box of 20? Or 50? ......HWD, Just a thought on the single stage re-loader. Will i be able to load rifle and shotshell ammo with it as well as pistol? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have to apologize. I can't find that 300 grain PMC load anywhere. It was a great load. It came in 50 round boxes. I can't recall the exact price, but it was far more affordable than the Buffalo Bore, Garrett, and CorBon stuff you see at more than a dollar per round. I want to say it ran around 25 dollars for 50 rounds. I had looked into it quite a bit when I was contemplating a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I ended up buying something else and the .45 got put on the back burner. I still want a .45 Blackhawk and am dismayed to find that load unavailable. Maybe its still around, but I cant find it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Last week, I ran across some 250 grain JHP manufactured by Collins Cartridge Co. at a gunshow in Dallas at @ $20 for a box of 50. The fella at the table said they had a muzzle velocity of @910 FPS. I haven't tried them yet so can't vouch for their accuracy. That may be a little slow for your hunting needs, but some folks claim it's all you need, given good bullet placement at reasonable ranges. Collins' website is at www.cccammo.com.

This thread is the first time I've heard the PMC 300 grain 1250 FPS loads have disappeared. They shot accurately in my SRH and Bisleys, but were a bit stout for a pleasant afternoon at the range. YMMV

·
Registered
606 Posts
Re: re: Favorite loads for .45 long colt?

cg said:
.....Just a thought on the single stage re-loader. Will i be able to load rifle and shotshell ammo with it as well as pistol?
You will need a set of dies for each caliber you want to reload (rifle or pistol). You will also need a case tumbler (if you don't want to clean each case by hand), a powder scale, a caliper, a powder measure, a priming tool, and some other stuff (LOTS of other stuff as the years go by).

A shotshell reloader is another animal altogether - loading brass and loading shotshells require two different presses.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I checked for those loads also and can't find them. I wonder if PMC will sell to private buyers without buying the shells by the case?

Shot shell reloading is a completely different bird from brass as stated here by WWB. Look into a kit by LEE. You can load just about any BRASS shell out there on it,without too much expense. Buy the kit and some dies and load away!

HWD

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think PMC and Eldorado have gone belly up. I started poking around to try and locate the 300 grain +P .45 Colt load and came up empty. I see that most retailers are no longer carrying PMC. Some have remaining old stock that hey continue to sell. I read something about some corporate wrongdoings and a crooked CEO or president who made off with all the company's assets. Not sure, but that was a hell of a load for less than half the price of similar loads from other manufacturers.

·
Registered
640 Posts
"Hunting" level loads in 45 Colt are about as expensive as those in 454 and a lot harder to find.. I found the 240 gr Winchester hollow points to be a fair mid-level load, about the same as a hot 45 Colt. The least expensive 454 Casull loads I've found have been Magtech 260 gr soft points though they are pretty hot. The best online price I've seen for them have been at Sportsman's Guide but Natchez has had reasonable prices also. I think they are still under $20 for 20 rounds.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: re: Favorite loads for .45 long colt?

killerb said:
I think PMC and Eldorado have gone belly up. I started poking around to try and locate the 300 grain +P .45 Colt load and came up empty. I see that most retailers are no longer carrying PMC. Some have remaining old stock that hey continue to sell. I read something about some corporate wrongdoings and a crooked CEO or president who made off with all the company's assets. Not sure, but that was a hell of a load for less than half the price of similar loads from other manufacturers.
Damn. Crooked bastards. Oh well, Thanks for the response killerb. maybe another ammo maker will read this and get an idea? :idea: ..............Thanks to everyone else who dropped in. All info is much appreciated. I can see where this going. The wife isn't going to be real happy when she finds out I'm going to have to invest some more $$$ in my habit. I'll break it to her gently over a nice, romantic dinner. :wink: Aaaah better not. :shock: ............Uglydog, I've been shooting the magtech 260's myself. They definately kick. We went to the farm to shoot some more and found that as long as the cows leave me alone, I can hit a paper plate with them at 100 yards. I like them. But I'm paying about $25 a box of 20. I'll have to look into those 2 sources you mentioned.......Hey yours is a super redhwk also, right? You hunt with it much?, or is it mainly a carry piece for the back country? I know that you frequent grizzly country. I've got a nikon 2x20 scope on mine. It sure makes for better shooting than that 4x I was using before.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a couple more things. 1st, If I do have trouble shooting the shorter long colts in this gun, is there anything I can do to help accuracy? Maybe a bit of throat work on the barrel? If so, will that adversely affect accuracy with the longer .454's?.......Also has anyone had trigger work done on their Super Redhawk? Recommend a smith? I know the gun is somewhat limited in that dept. What exactly can be done? thanks again.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I don't think there is anything that can be done with the trigger on a Super Redhawk. I asked when mine went back to the factory for a problem an they stated there was nothing further to do. Asking around locally got me much the same answer. I'm not sure what could be done regarding accuracy, but I do recall something about 45 Colt bullets coming in several different diameters due to all the variances in manufacture over the years. Diameters have run from .451" on up to .454" an maybe even more. Getting a bullet that closely matches the bore would be the first thing to try. It is also much cheaper.
I don't hunt with mine as much as I originally intended but I have taken a couple of deer with it. There is a good chance I'll take a bear with it soon as I have one sniffing around the house regularly. If he starts to cause damage to the buildings (and being what he is, it will occur), I'll pick up a nuisance permit and then he's history. I bought this gun as a secondary weapon when I'm up in Alaska but when at home it frequently wears a 2x Burris. The lower magnification makes it much easier to use in the field under most conditions and is more than adequate for the ranges the 454 is effective.
I hate to say this but I was in a smaller gun shop yesterday and saw they had the 240 or 250 gr Winchester hollow points for $17 a box. I grabbed all 4 boxes of those they had as well as a couple boxes of the same brand Partition Supremes at a dollar a box more. They had a few other oddball boxes that I could use and added them to the pile. They must have liked me as they gave me 8% off the final total for cleaning out these boxes. Needless to say, I was happy.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The trigger can be cleaned up and lightened a little by a gunsmith. The transfer bar system will never feel as good as a good trigger in a Smith or Colt. A spring kit and maybe a little stoning or polishing can make it better. Ruger just isn't in the business of doing trigger jobs. A competent gunsmith should be able to handle it, though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
:?:
Hi, All:
I am interested in the .45 LC cartridge. I have a Winchester 94 leaver action rifle, and a .44 cal. Rem. black powder revolver that has a conversion cylinder for it that enables one to shoot .45LC cartridges in it. I also have a Tompson/Center Contender single shot pistol in 45/70 cal., and wonder since the .45LC, and the 45/70 cartridges are the same outside diameter, and rimmed cartridges, could one shoot .45LC cartridges safely in a 45/70 gun? The rims of the cartridges are a little diferent outside size, and thicknes, but the .45LC cartridge will chamber in the 45/70. Anyone have any info on this matter?
Chubbo

·
Registered
175 Posts
DO NOT shoot the 45LC from your 45/70! The 45LC bullets will measure .451 up to .454. The bullets for the 45/70 are .458 ! The small bullets will be like a golfball in a stove pipe. With the rim Diameter difference, the 45LC round may be cocked sideways and might cause irrepairable damage not only to the gun but YOU.

HWD

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hand load .45 long Colt and have been using Unique brand pistol powder the last 2 years in my Ruger Super Redhawk, with 200 and 250 gr. bullets. Getting low and am thinking of trying something different as Unique is so dirty. I read that Trailboss would allow me to use lighter bullets too, Unique loading data shows the heavier bullets.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts