Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
plowboy,
The cartridge in question is actually the .45 Colt revolver cartridge often referred to as the .45 Long Colt. The one you mention is the .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) and is often confused with the former as the names are very similar.

HWD,
I use 110 or 296 for my heavy loads in most calibers over .357 but found Titegroup, Unique, and Herco good for practice and general use in this cartridge. Titegroup was especially nice as it is supposed to be position insensitive so the possibility of a (Mind blank- can't think of the word, "flash" something) detonation from having too much exposed powder is lessened. I think IMR's Trail Boss is supposed to do the same thing and is priced pretty fairly too. With this cartridge, I'd say anything in the 900 fps range and up with a 250 gr or larger semi-wadcutter will do the trick on deer. For black bear a bit more speed may be preferred but they are generally taken at pretty close range if bait or hounds are used and I would suspect the above deer load will work just as well with a very hard cast bullet.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts