Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy my first hand gun. The first handgun I shot was a military issued m1911, and i deffinatley want a 1911. I've been looking at several different brands. I would really like your advice on what to buy, I'm looking for a gun that is duty pistol quality. Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Back,
When you are looking in 1911 area, it really doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot which make you select. Brand preference can be a factor. In the top level of manufacturers, they all make the same weapon. A 1911 is a 1911 is a 1911...!!! Same may vary as to minor features, but by specification, they are all 1911's. Soooo, for most entry level buyers the first big decision becomes...$$.. and here we can get some separation in quality and features. Set a budget, go to a range a rent several makes, shoot them all and shoot some from a friend, if they are available. THEN...make your own decision as to what you wish to purchase. After all it will be YOUR gun and not someone elses..!!

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
First...welcome to Pistolworld.

I think you would like a Springfield Armory 1911 .45
You can look to pay, for a mil spec, $400-$750 roughly. You might find one a little cheaper if you shop around but most will fall into this range.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Welcome to pistol world,
If you want to buy just one 1911 then buy a Kimber. Otherwise you will continue to buy,trade and sell untill you get a Kimber. Lots of models to chose from and they don't come cheep. Considering the information provided it's hard to give good advice.

It's like coming onto a car site and saying I want to buy a car, I want one with a 350 engine....there are so many to chose from. We all have our favorites. What will you use it for, what is your budget?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking to stay around $1,500. I'm mostly going to use it for personal defense, but also as a back up when I'm bowhunting. I'm really just trying find one that is reliable and well built. It won't be my only gun just my first for a while. I would someday like to get into handgun competition but thats going to be a few years.

·
Registered
240 Posts
At that price range you should take a hard look at the Kimber line. I expect you will find all that you weant and have the best available. I doubt anyone will tell you different.

All the same it's all about shooting so if you have a range that rents hand guns go there and shoot as many as possible. I have a kimber and it is so nice but I carry a S&W M&P 45 most of the time, it has the 1911 feel, lighter and I like the DA and trigger. I also have a FNH FNP-40 it has even more the 1911 feel as it has a hammer. I like the two above because they come with three exchangable back straps that allow you to better fit the pistol to your hand.

All three get thubs up from the guys at the range, the Kimber because it is the high end of the 1911 pistols, the S&W M&P 45 as it is a polly frame that puts Glock to shame, the FNH FNP-40 isn't all that common but has that FNH quality that is easily expressed when shootiung this pistol.

The best news is you live in a nation that provides you to chose from so many wonderful pistols. Shoot as many as you can then pick the one that is yours.

Let us know what you decide

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What can you tell me about SIG, I saw a few that I liked alot, and a buddy of mine just bought a P226x5 and we went and shot it today. It seemed to be a really well built gun, we shot about 200 rounds and did not have a single problem. I'm just wondering if they build there 1911's the same way, and also if the .45 would shoot as well as the 9mm did.

·
Registered
63 Posts
A first time buyer of a 1911 will end up having some minor changes done to the gun after getting used to it. So I would pick a quality USA gun shop and start with a basic gun in 1911 format. Use the forum to inquire on customer service and quality of product. I have a Colt Gov. Series 70 that I bought new over 30 years ago. I have spent less than $500 tricking it out during that time frame. So a $1000 1911 made by Springfield or other well known with a long term reference, would not be out of line in price. It is a great gun.
Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts