Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some opinions on a few guns, this will be my first personal purchase though I have shot a lot of revolvers and a few semi autos. I am looking at getting a Springfield XD in 40 cal, a Ruger p93, or a new imported gun made in turkey called the IAC Regent 100 its basically a mil spec 1911 knock off. What do you guys think? The gun will be used basically for recreational shooting at the range. The p93 has been the hardest for me to find, but when I do it is at a very good price about 250. I am a college student so that is very appealing. That being said I noticed a very big drop in price on the XD going in my area for about 300-400. The IAC is also about 300. Any advice is welcome. Because I am in school shooting the guns at the moment to test them is not possible this will be a purchase done this summer.

Thanks,

Hawkeye

·
Registered
149 Posts
dont be in a rush to spend your $$$. there will be guns out there when you get the time & $$$.

questions;
1. did you have a chance to handle the guns?
2. try to find a gun rental range and shoot them or similar if possible. (comment)
3. have you priced ammo? many people are buying 9s or 22s due to 45 ammo prices. how expensive is 40 in your area?
4. have you considered if you go with the IAC where you will get it serviced, if something should break? will it use 1911 parts or is it some hybred/mixmaster? cost of spare mags if its not OTS 1911 mags.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Absolutely correct. Try out a few guns if you can. If you have and have narrowed your purchase down to these three, I would go with the XD. Since it's your first purchase and since it will be used primarily to punch paper... go 9mm rather than .40.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have handled the ruger and the XD in the past, I eliminated the IAC for the reason you mentioned. 9mm ammo is about 14 and 40 is about 19.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yes, that means that for every 3 boxes of .40 - you would be shooting a free box of 9mm. Cost is not the only consideration. Since you are primarily paper-punching, felt recoil would also be a consideration.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I am very happy to see you ruled out the IAC, a knockoff at that price point would be a very low quality gun which, in my experience, is an expensive pain to keep running and nearly impossible to foist off on someone else when you finally get tired of running over He!! trying to get parts or repairs.
I further second, thid, or whatever the idea of getting a 9mm rather than a 40 S&W or 45 ACP. Ammo cost is much lower for the 9mm with Wal-Mart just recently having them at $9.50/box of 50 for Federal and Cabela's has or had them last weekend at $9 for Fiocchi. Even now Wal-Mart has the Federals at $10.50/box which is still better than the $14/box for the 40 and $16 for the 45. I have stocked up on the 9mm as I plan on buying one for a practice gun rather than the 40 S&W and 45 ACP I carry on and off duty. Even though I reload and can save quite a bit over store bought, the 9mm is still noticeably cheaper either from the store or when rolling my own. Saving nearly 1/3 is a real savings and just allows me to shoot that much more for the same cost.
The 9mm is also a good centerfire starter gun as the recoilis pretty mild. That allows one to concentrate more on their form rather than the recoil which only helps one to learn proper technique quicker.
As much as I like the XD (it is my choice as a weapon for both on and off duty) I would look strongly at a model that has a 22 LR conversion kit available. As cheap and easy to shoot as a 9mm is, the 22LR has it beat in spades. The greatly reduced cost and recoil of the 22 is a great help in learning to shoot well and one will very quickly see the price of slide paid back in ammo costs. 500 rounds of 22 LR will run about $20 at most while that amount of money will get 100 rounds of 9mm at best. In about 3-4 trips to the store, that $80 you save between 500 rounds of 22 LR and 9mm will pay for the slide. I did that with a 1911 and liked it so much I am sorry I did not choose a different gun for my duty weapon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have it narrowed down to two guns. Both are rugers. Either the p95 or the SR9. I like the fact that the 95 is cheaper and easier to break down, but the SR9 is more accurate. Does anyone here have any opinions on these two guns one over the other?

·
Registered
585 Posts
How did you arrive at your decision? Were they even considerations before on your first post? I hope it means you've been shooting some.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been shooting and I ended up not getting the XD because price was an issue I couldn't find one that was in my budget. Over the summer I saw them at the local shop for 300 and thought they were being decreased in price. The 93 was hard to find because it has been discontinued and so I thought that parts in the future would also become scarce. I ended up shooting its brother the p95 and then on a whim I started shooting the SR9. The SR9 is a new gun but it feels alot like a glock. Any opinions on the p95 and the SR9.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I recently decided to buy a 9mm for a fun gun to shoot the cheaper ammo. I intended to get the P95, but once I got to the gun shop and handled the SR9 I changed my mind. I really liked the feel of the SR9 and it wasn't that much more than the P95. It is a very accurate gun and so far it has never failed to fire, even with the cheap Russian Wolf ammo.

I think you'll really be happy with the SR9.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts