Pistol World Forums banner

Which one would you pick as a home defense weapon for the little lady of the house?

• Baby Eagle 9mm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bersa Thunder Compact 9mm

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've done a lot of research on these two pistols and I have my opinion, but want to see what you guys think. So without further delay here are the two guns.

1. Baby Eagle 9mm 12rd (Stainless Frame)
2. Bersa Thunder Compact 9mm (Poly. Frame)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don't restrict it to 9mm on her account, let her try something bigger as well. I shot a class two weekends ago, and one of the students was a *tiny* (and I mean 5' maybe 70lbs) woman shooting a full-size .45 ACP 5" 1911. Her shooting was fine, and recoil control was not a problem; the only issue was control manipulation. The teacher suggested she try an XD 45, because her main problem was with the thumb safety. Recoil is 90% mental.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Neither

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Re: re: First Pistol 4 The Lady

Pistolero said:
None of the above.
+1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well both of those pistols fit her hand well, so that's why we're looking at those two. LOL I didn't expect to get hated on for asking this question. Also a 9mm is what she wants because she's able to handle it well and that is important or I would not hesitate to buy a sig 226 .40 with a .357 barrel to shoot both rounds as I personally love those round for handguns, but this isn't about me it's about my wife...

Please give me feedback on those two pistols or give me other suggestions on types of pistols to look into, so we can explore other avenues.

Right now we've looked at.

Walter
XD
Glock
M&P
Berreta
S&W

And so far none of those pistols fit her hands as well as the two mentioned.

Thanks,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Telling us she has already held them changes what I was going to say. You stated You researched them, not that she did also. I don't disagree with 9mm at all. That said I am going to vote Baby Eagle. I shot one a couple weeks ago and was VERY impressed. I shot it almost as good as I do my 92FS the first mag full. My only complaint was the trigger was bent to a sharper hook at the bottom than I am used to and it kept biting my finger. I am sure I could get used to that or have a smith rework the shape.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Just my .02 but you could let her handle a Sig 228 or 229. They should not be any larger than the Baby Eagle. I consider them to be of a better quality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would love to get her a Sig, but economics only allow a certain budget for this purchase.

Not to mention she isn't an avid gun user, but I broke her down so she'll go now and again to the range with me. (Not that often though)

I did however find a P225 for a steal. What are your thoughts on this model?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
P225's are excellent pistols.

There are alot of P6's (same thing as a P225) being imported right now. They are used German police pistols. Going prices are from $259.00 to $300.00.

Check the Sig Sauer forum, as I have posted some links there.

P239's are excellent also.

Both the 225 and 239 are single stack magazine pistols. They may fit your wife's hand better than double stack mag pistols.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the one I found (P6) for 200 reblued and 2 clips. We're going to look at that one Saturday see if she likes it. If so Sig for 200 is a no brainer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Speaking of no brainers, try a revolver. No magazine in the middle of the grip. No jams, no slides.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You keep calling her "The Little Lady" and you'll need a gun to defend yourself.

It's spelled "Walther" . . . not "Walter."

"Clips" are what girls wear in their hair. The thingie you put in the grip of a semi-auto is called a "magazine."

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Now . . .

You're looking at semi-autos with double stack magazines. That makes for a fat grip. Small hands and fat grips don't work well together.

I've always felt the "LadySmith" was a bit sexist. But you can get a Smith J-Frame in several configurations (mostly hammer options) in .357 magnum.

She can shoot .38 Spl light loads to heavy, and then .357 mag light loads to heavy when she's accustomed to shooting the gun and managing recoil.

I see small women shooting magnums, 1911's, etc all the time. The restriction on what they can manage is mostly grip size, not caliber. Double stack mags make for a FAT grip, and a long reach for the trigger.

. . . does she know you refer to her as "The Little Lady" ???

:roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Neither, get her a 38 revolver...It falls within the KISS principal..(Keep It Simple Stupid) And no, I did not call you stupid..lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Neither. . . . .
If she has lots of experience shooting I "might" suggest a semi-auto, but it wouldn't be one of your choices.

If she is a new shooter or inexperienced shooter, I would suggest a quality medium to small revolver in .327 or .38/357.

Let her make the choice by having her handle both types of gun and shoot them if possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I (being a lady) have several guns and much rather have a revolver. I have a lady smith (hammerless) and not sure I like it. I love the size, and love that it fits in my purse (I have a CCP) but don't like how hard it is to pull the trigger. I have been told to have trigger work done to it, but not sure if that will fix the problem.

Is this going to be a carry gun or a "practice" gun? If not a cary, I like the S&W 38 revolver, my fav pistol to shoot.

Lindy

·
Registered
147 Posts
I once bought a gun for my wife withougt consulting her about it. It was an older S&W Chief Special.
We went to the range, she to shoot the Chief and I to shoot my old S&W Model 15.
She shot the Model 15, a 4" .38 Spl with adjustable sights, and told me, "This is MINE NOW!."

Good thing I really like the old Chief.

(I get to clean the Model 15 when it needs it.)

FWIW, she can shoot the hell out of that old Smith - keeps it in a purse by the bed with 3 speedloaders.

Let her choose her own gun. She will be the one shooting it.

mark

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just came across this topic. I know it's been going on for several months, but here is my $.02. When we moved to the country a couple years ago my wife decided she wanted a handgun for protection and to target shoot on the place. I had never own a handgun, just rifles and shotguns for hunting.

She did the research herself and went to a local dealer (I tagged along and listened.) She ended up buying a Glock 36 (.45 ACP) and used it for personal defense training as well as CC. She likes the gun and has since bought several revolvers as well.

By the way I have since bought my share of handguns and will probably buy more.
:D
Norm

1 - 20 of 21 Posts