Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first pistol today and have a few questions. As far as the gun it is a Ruger P94 .40S&W. I have been eyeballing this gun for a while.

Does it need any attention after getting it home. In the past with shotguns I always spent quite a bit of time getting the shipping residue of the steel then giving them a good coat of oil. Do they use a similar substance on handguns? What do I need to do? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
By all means clean the weapon just as you would a new shotgun. Don’t over lube, as this will give dust a place to gather. Don’t let any oil be around the chamber, bolt face, or in the magazine. This can cause primer failure and possible at the worst possible time. A light coat of oil or light grease on the slide and frame where the two work together will be sufficient.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When i cleaned it I did make the mistake of wiping most of the gun down with oil. Do I need to take gun cleaner to the parts mentioned to get the oil off. Unfortunetly I am pretty much a noob to firearms.

Also is it not as important to oil a handgun for rust protection like I would my shotguns. They are O/U and I have always just oiled everything.

·
Registered
97 Posts
No, don't take anymore cleaner to it. Just wipe off the excess oil, and then as the Rev. said, put a little on the slide and rails (again, a little oil goes a LONG way) and that should be good.

Make sure to clean it good, and lube it after each time you take it to the range also. Other than that, it will be fine.

Enjoy, and be Safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts