Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I just bought my first pistol. It's a Ruger 9mm, it says P89 on it but is black with a silver slide and all the one's like that I've seen are KP89's. What the difference in these? I also want to see about popular accessories for it like extra mags, laser sights, etc. I'm mainly using it to have fun with. I take it on the trails with me when we go on the 4 wheelers. I think I got a pretty good deal from my neighbor who bought it new and shoot less than 100 rounds through it, and I only gave $250 for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to the site, but have a fair amount of shooting experience. My father owns a P89 that I have shot on a couple occaisons. Just based on enjoyment factor (hitting what you want to hit), the first thing I would do is try to find a decent gunsmith in your area and have a trigger job done on the gun.

Where I am at (central KS) I believe this can be done for $100 or so and it really will make a difference.

I am a big fan of accessories, don't get me wrong, but the big fun in shooting is hitting what you want to hit and a good trigger will go a long way.

That said, Crimson Trace Laser Grips are pretty cool (but a little expensive). They make a P series compatable model.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have three P series Rugers a 93 in 9mm, a 94 in 40 cal and a 95 in 9mm. They are fun to shoot and a good pistol to carry. Extra mags are easy to find. I bought mine from cheaperthandirt.com. I even bought a 32 round mag for my 9mm's as my son likes to shoot but hates reloading the clips. Best options I have found are the night sights that run about $80 and a better set of houge rubber grips that run for about $30. The pistol doesn't have a equipment rail so there isn't a good laser or flashlight to fit the pistol and what's available mounts to the trigger guard and is easy to knock out of adjustment. The laser grip is an option but it cost about what the pistol is worth.

The P89 is a good pistol shoot it a lot and enjoy it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Re: re: First pistol

ToddKS said:
I am new to the site, but have a fair amount of shooting experience. My father owns a P89 that I have shot on a couple occaisons. Just based on enjoyment factor (hitting what you want to hit), the first thing I would do is try to find a decent gunsmith in your area and have a trigger job done on the gun.

Where I am at (central KS) I believe this can be done for $100 or so and it really will make a difference.

I am a big fan of accessories, don't get me wrong, but the big fun in shooting is hitting what you want to hit and a good trigger will go a long way.

That said, Crimson Trace Laser Grips are pretty cool (but a little expensive). They make a P series compatable model.
I fully agree it's all about hitting the target but if you can't get it done with the Ruger P series trigger a trigger job won't make it better. I shoot on a regular basis and my P94 is one of my favorites as it makes me look so good at the range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.