Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm not exactly new to shooting pistols. My issue side arm is a Baretta M-9. Which I have put more rounds through then I can count. I am looking to buy though. It will be my first time owning a pistol. I was just wondering which is a good pistol to own. I am interested in concealed carry. I am a fan of the 1911, but other than my M-9 and the 1911 I really haven't shot a wide variety of pistols. I was just looking for some opinions.

·
Registered
606 Posts
For concealed carry, take a look at a small frame revolver like a Ruger SP-101. It can be had in .32 H&R Magnum, .38 Special, or .357 Magnum. Either a 2" or 3" barrel.

Also..... combat medic..... as an old grunt, you have my respect and admiration. If you ever visit The Wall in Washington, D.C., look up a friend of mine; David Freestone. Like so many medics, he died trying to save a wounded grunt.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I agree with wwb. I'm an old wheelgunner and I love the Ruger SP101. You can shoot .357 mag. loads without pain, and it is a very accurate gun. My wife carries one with the 3" barrel. You have the option of shooting .38s, .38+Ps, and magnum loads.

A K-frame S&W is a little bigger but the only advantage is one more round.

Charter Arms is working hard to produce good, quality, guns these days. The CEO is a former employee from back in the days when it was owned by bean counters who never fired a weapon. Quality control and ideas are really getting better. They are coming out with a line of small frame revolvers in pistol calibers, 9mm, .40 and .45. These will not use moon clips. However, I like the Bulldog in .44 Special. Five rounds of 240-gr bullets at 850 fps makes a mighty fine wound cavity. (.357, .44 Sp., .45 ACP all sound pretty good.)

Remember, in the civilian world most encounters don't reach 3 shots fired total. Not like combat. You won't be needing 15 rounds. Two well placed ones will usually work fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.