Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am newly interested and have spent 2 days looking at EVERYTHING the world has to offer. I have recently (Friday) fired a Glock G19, a Beretta 90Two, and somehow an MP5 (much fun, but NOT on the list of potential purchases). I'm in no immediate rush and wish to buy the best all around gun for my needs... home protection and the (hopefully frequent) range trips. Experienced opions will be of much value to me. My retired NYPD father is glad I turned down the job, and equally glad I am interested now, but his S&W .38 (service and snub) are only for show these days. I'm in the market for a 9mm. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
First off welcome to the Pistolworld forums, good to have ya.
How did the G19 shoot for you? I very much believe the Glock handguns to be the most reliable weapons on the market today. Not to mention they are very accurate, and easy to strip and clean.

Rev.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Tough to go wrong with a Glock. I also never had a problem with the Beretta that I had. Look around for police trade-ins of either. You can often get a good deal on a gun that was carried alot and shot little.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I enjoyed handling the Glock, but the grip was a little large in my hand. I have wide hands, fairly strong, but they are short, so for me, the grip was a little large. The Beretta felt better in my hand. The Glock magazine was easier to load, and I liked my ability to reach everything (magazine release, slide release(if these are the proper terms, I'm still learning). I just discovered that a co-worker is a multiple owner and he's pointing me towards the H&K USP. As I mentioned, I'm 100% committed to a purchase, but not in a rush to pick the wrong one. Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you liked the Glock but found the ergonomics a bit off, have you checked out the Springfield XD? The people that own them like them a lot. They're pretty much a Glock...but not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny you should say that... A friend of a friend with 30 years of military and law enforcement experience (SIGNIFICANT experience, ((( he is/was sniper on hisr SWAT Team, a K-9 handler/trainer, Dept. Armorer (for over 30 years), a firearms instructor (as well as Head of the Firearms Training Unit), and a Field Training Officer. ))) Suggested the following:

SA XD .40 S&W
H&K USP .40 S&W or .40 ACP
Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special .45 ACP

As I've researched (with eyes wide open!) I found the first two myself (PURE LUCK!), so I was thrilled when he suggested the same.

Thanks for the input/advice.

(Quote change to follow)
"Change is not a destination... just as hope is not a strategy" Rudy Giuliani

·
Registered
32 Posts
you don't mention anything about carrying if its just for home defense and the range go with the glock,now if it's going to be a concealed carry that's another story all together xd would be better or even the kahr p9

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: re: First Time Buyer

ECHOONE said:
you don't mention anything about carrying if
Its my understanding that concealed carry in NY is a tough if not next to impossible thing to get for the average Joe.

sux2bNYCguy said:
I enjoyed handling the Glock, but the grip was a little large in my hand. I have wide hands, fairly strong, but they are short, so for me, the grip was a little large.
Have you checked out their slimline design? G36 I think.

But I really don't see anything wrong with the other choices you mentioned either. Before I bought my glock - I thought real hard about the springfield xd.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts