Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with the fmj expanding bullets? They claim they penetrate better than hp's through clothing. I've thought about getting some for self defense for my .40 cz but I was wondering how well they worked.

·
Registered
606 Posts
FMJ = Full Metal Jacket = does NOT expand.

A jacketed hollowpoint like the Hornady XTP is your best bet for defense.

Through thick layers of clothing, the hollowpoint cavity will sometimes fill with bits of clothing, preventing expansion... but it doesn't happen often, and if it does happen, you'll have plenty of penetration - like all the way through, since the hollowpoint will now act like a FMJ. A hollowpoint that expands properly is far more devastating than a FMJ.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you read their detailed description of the bullet construction...

http://ammoman.com/40_EP_DESC.htm

It's not really constucted like what is normally considered a FMJ - agreed, it does have a full covering on the meplat, but under "bullet details" they note that ".... the interior of the jacket is heavily scored in a radial fashion....". It is generally accepted that a FMJ bullet will not expand - unless they hit a solid object. I can verify that a 230 grain .45 cal FMJ expands (flattens, actually) against a steel plate.

These may well work as advertised, but they are really addressing a very rare problem. Leads me to wonder if it may start to expand in heavy clothing even before it gets to the body... sort of the exact opposite problem. Also, bullet performance is never consistent, no matter what the ads say.... I've had Sierra .30 cal 165 grain Game Kings come completely apart in a deer, and the next time, one will penetrate completely and exit without any noticeable expansion.

Shot placement is far more important than caliber or bullet selection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.