Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a new pistol after christmas and have asked friends which theyd prefer as the better pistol in the 500 dollar range. Most have told me that the Springfield xd in 9mm cal. and the Glock 19 are both great guns and it would pretty much be flip a coin. I would appreciate your advice. Thanks, Will[/quote]

·
Registered
640 Posts
Your friends are right, it is pretty much a flip of the coin. I personally prefer the XD as the grip angle fits the bone and muscle structure of my wrist better. The Glock is a terrific gun but just not for me. I've owned or been issued 4 of them over the years so have a bit of experience with them. I have owned a like number of XDs though I'm down to only two now, both Service models in 40 S&W and 45 ACP.
If possible, try to test fire both before buying, you may find one preferable to the other. Maybe the best buy out there is the Glock as it is easy to get police returns. These are generally very good buys as they are about $150 less than new, often come with more than one extra magazine, and it is not uncommon for them to have night sights already installed. The mag and sights can be $100 dollar extras otherwise.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
They are both good guns. It will depend on which feels the best in your hand. Typically what fits best hits best.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Uglydog is right - the night sights alone on mine were an additional $95

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Personally, I would pick the Austrian made pistol over the Croatian made pistol.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Re: re: Glock 19 or Springfield XD?

Pistolero said:
Personally, I would pick the Austrian made pistol over the Croatian made pistol.
And I gladly pick any reliable gun over an Austrian gun I can't shoot as well, especially as it has the potential to be an important piece of my equipment. The HS2000/Springfield XD has a long history of dependability and as I can shoot them noticably better than any Glock due to trigger and grip angle, it a a much better choice. It is much more important to find a gun that is dependable and one can use well than to pick one based on country of origin. The latter merely shows one's blindness to the faults of their chosen equipment.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts

uglydog said:
And I gladly pick any reliable gun over an Austrian gun I can't shoot as well, especially as it has the potential to be an important piece of my equipment. The HS2000/Springfield XD has a long history of dependability and as I can shoot them noticably better than any Glock due to trigger and grip angle, it a a much better choice. It is much more important to find a gun that is dependable and one can use well than to pick one based on country of origin. The latter merely shows one's blindness to the faults of their chosen equipment.
I agree, it is more important to find a dependable firearm.

I own both the Austrian made pistol (2 of them) and the Croatian made pistol.

My opinion is that the Austrian made pistol is of better quality and more reliable than my XD.

Country of origin has nothing to do with my opinion. If country of origin was the concern, I never would have purchased the XD.

I carry a pistol everyday as part of my employment. I would not risk my life on the XD.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciated your input. I purchased the springfield due to it being much more comfortable in my hand. Ready to get out and practice with it. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
They do feel good in ones hand, that's for sure!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Definitely G19. It's probably the most popular Glock on the market and for good reasons - durability, reliability, ease of maintenance, simple to operate, eats all types of ammo.

Just get a good holster and practice basic gun safety.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Take them apart and look at the construction/design.

The XD has large, robust, heavy steel lugs to support the slide. The Gock uses steel inserts in the polymer frame. I've seen these inserts fail.

Some dislike the grip safety on the XD, but it does allow holstering the gun while not depressing the grip safe and you don't need to worry about snagging the trigger.

LEO Glocks have racked up significant AD's from catching the trigger on accessories on the service gun belt

Trigger on the XD is steel. Glock is polymer. I prefer the trigger on the XD. It's smoother, more discrete.

XD has better grip ergonomics. Everyone agrees on this.

Glock chambers are partially supported, the breech is overbored. They stretch brass. Google "Gock kB."

XD chamber is fully supported. Breech is tight.

Both guns have rust preventive finish on the slide. They're chemically similar processes.

The XD design has won major awards. So has the Glock.

"Compact grip" on the XD shortens the grip length on the 45 ACP about 1 1/2". Ten rd. mag. The full-length grip holds 13 rds. This is a significant design feature you won't find on a Glock.

The XD is made in Croatia, but it's mfg'd there in a plant that is equipped, supported, contracted by Springfield USA. It's a US gun, just like Kershaw are US knives made in China.

Glock is headquarted in Smyrna GA. That's in the USA.

Lots of police depts are trading out their Glocks for the XD.

They're both good guns, excellent guns.

I owned a Glock 22 and didn't care for it at all.

I own an XD, 45 ACP Tactical, Compact grip. I have a Glock GTL 21 laser on it. I also own a Glock tactical field knife.

Glock makes serious stuff. Their guns are serious. I don't care for them, but many swear by them.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts

MSgunaddict said:
Love my Glock 19. Never shot a springfield.

There is a reason why 90+% of LEO are issued glocks...
The real figure is around 50%, and the real reason isn't the one you imply. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts