Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. While I am not a regular here, I am at shotgunworld and from time to time shooting world. I have the chance to trade a rifle scope for a Glock 26 9mm. I have been wanting to get a handgun, but I have been thinking more of a .40 in either springfield XD or 1911. The guy who wants the scope has a Glock 26 to trade, so I was just wondering what everyone thought about them. I will not be carrying concealed, at least for a while, but maybe in the future. I would just be using it for fun and HD.

TIA

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Nothing wrong with a Glock 26, they're good pistols. I would recommend a Pearce grip adapter so you can put all 3 fingers on the grip.

Nothing wrong with the 9mm either.

The 9mm will be more economical to shoot than the .40 or .45.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'll agree with the above sentiments. While I am not a glock fan I had one in the past and it was absolutely reliable. the 9mm round is as good as any and cheaper to shoot. If you think it's a good trade go for it. I wouldn't hesitate unless the cope is high dollar then i might hesitate as glocks really aren't that expensive brand new. I think most models around $515 locally some less, some more naturally. But it is always going to depend on what makes you happy. Sounds like a good deal with the details given.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A Glock wouldn't be my first choice, however they are Excellent autoloaders (for polycarbonite). For HD, go with the .40 S&W or bigger. If you plan on doing a "lot" of (practice) shooting then a 9mm will be more economical. But ask yourself, Why am I getting this pistol? If it's primarily for HD, then go for better stopping power. If you want it for plinking, then get yourself a nice .22 autoloader.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. I actually do have a .22, a Browning Buckmark that I won in a raffle, for plinking. After the thoughts from you guys and looking at how small the 26 is, I think I will pass on the trade and wait to get what I really want, which is a .40 SW as the previous poster mentioned. The scope I have is probably worth more than the Glock anyway. He doesn't have the grip extenders or the extended mags, so that is something else I would want to buy anyway.

Thanks again to all who took the time to help me out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think you made a wise choice. I'm a big Glock fan. I've been carrying a G21 for about 15 years now and I don't think you can beat them.

However, the G26 is not a fun gun. It is designed for concealed carry, and is not something you would want to take to the range to shoot for fun. You've got the Buckmark for that. If you want to get a .40 then you'd be better served saving up and getting what you want. (I'd go for the Glock 22 or 23, but the Springfield XD is an excellent choice.) The cost difference between the 9mm ammo and .40 is not really that much. (Not like it used to be!) With all the law enforcement agencies switching to .40, and the civilians copying what law enforcement is doing, the price of the two has just about equaled out. Of course the cheap 9mm Russian stuff will always be less.

For HD have you considered a revolver? With a .357 you have three power loads to choose from: .38, .38+P, and .357 mag. .38s for cheap practice, +Ps and .357 for serious business. Easy for your whole family to learn with. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the opine there Mr. Roadkill. I certainly see why a high power revolver would be a good choice for HD, but I enjoy shooting a pistol more. It would be used mostly for funsies and I do plan to get CC someday. I am not as concerned about HD because I haven't figured out the best way to safely store the gun from kids and/or the potential intruder but also have quick close access. The wall vaults with biometric ID seem to be the best option, but I haven't convinced myself yet. I guess that is a topic for another thread, but I am certainly open to suggestions. The thought of my son or a friend of his getting hold of a revolver frankly scares me a lot more than an intruder. When I do get that sorted out a revolver like you mentioned, that rarely leaves it's "safe" place, seems like the way to go.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: re: Glock 26- Good choice for first handgun?

Roadkill Bill said:
I think you made a wise choice. I'm a big Glock fan. I've been carrying a G21 for about 15 years now and I don't think you can beat them.

However, the G26 is not a fun gun. It is designed for concealed carry, and is not something you would want to take to the range to shoot for fun. . . . .
Sorry Roadkill Bill, I'm not sure I understand why you feel the G26 is no fun to shoot at the range. It is easy to shoot, mild recoil and the 9mm ammo is the cheapest of the center-fire ammo on the market. All Glocks absorb recoil better than a steel frame gun. I personally own several Glocks of various calibers and they all shoot softer than any steel gun.

Unless the difference in value between the scope and the G26 is too great, I think the trade is a good deal. Assuming the G26 is in good shape, you will have great time shooting it for a long time to come.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dear Greensock,

I don't know what you plan to use the gun for. If your looking for an off duty or home defense I would advise you to up the caliber, 9mm is cheap and fun for target practice but a 9mm won't come close to a .40 and especially a .45 as far as stopping power. A .45 Glock (G21) especially, has low recoil and is my preference as far as home defense on on duty. I carry a .40 caliber concealed and would be comfortable with a .40 in pretty much any situation. But given the choice I would go with my .45 any day for any thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.