Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..I'm wondering if anyone can provide some insight into recommending one of these 2 pistols (would also consider 9mm version) to be used for personal defense and some light target shooting. My main criteria is a pistol that is very accurate, low recoil (I'll add a steel guide rod), and most importantly reliable and least likely to jam (with proper ammunition of course). There is obviously quite a price difference, but I am will to spend the extra $$ if it is a better gun. I would really appreciate all comments and opinions from anyone with some knowledge and experience...thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would find a range that rents pistols and shoot several different handguns. It's a big differance between the two pistols you are considering and there are several others you should consider. Glocks are a good pistol but I never liked the grip angle, H&K is a nice pistol but I believe over priced. My personal choice the the S&W M&P, another good pistol is the FNH FNP-40. I expect other members will be along to offer other suggestions for pistols you should look at/try.

Again find a range in your area that rents, tell them what you expect to use the firearm for, express your experience, and shoot until you find a pistol that fits you well. Whe you find that pistol shoot often and enjoy.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to purchase.

Will

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Will! I appreciate that info...unfortunatelt there isn't a gun range that rents guns with in a 100 miles of where I live...aside from personal preference what would you recommend just based on reliability and versatility? I'm not partial to any particular make, just need some more opinions on a well made pistol that is very reliable (won't jam on me), LIGHT weight (for hiking on the AT), accurate, and fun to use at the range....I know there are countless models that fall into these categories...but some help would be appreciated! Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hockey4496 said:
Thanks Will! I appreciate that info...unfortunatelt there isn't a gun range that rents guns with in a 100 miles of where I live...aside from personal preference what would you recommend just based on reliability and versatility? I'm not partial to any particular make, just need some more opinions on a well made pistol that is very reliable (won't jam on me), LIGHT weight (for hiking on the AT), accurate, and fun to use at the range....I know there are countless models that fall into these categories...but some help would be appreciated! Thanks guys!!
I would take the couple hour drive to a range that rents just to get a feel for a pistol before I buy. It's a short part in life to find a pistol that fits you well. If you can't do this the H&K is a far better choice over the Glock. You might save a lot of money and buy a Ruger P95, I own a P95 in 9mm, a P94 in 40 S&W and a P93 in 9mm. I like the P93 the best. A good pistol never had an issue with any of them and can be had for about $350. I like the P93 the best. Alloy frame, high mag capacity and dead on target. The P95 is a polly frame and has the same attributes.

Good furtune, let us know what you decide to buy.
Will

1 - 4 of 4 Posts