Pistol World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on here have a Glock 37 or Glock 38 in the .45 GAP? Just wondering how they compare to the .45 ACP in ballistic performance, accuracy, and the price and availability of ammo. The Glock 38 appears to be the perfect size of handgun that I am looking for. .45 stopping power in a pistol the size of the Glock 23. The .45 GAP round seems to be gaining popularity. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have the 39 - the 38's baby brother ..... I love the gun & I got a really good deal on it. The accuracry is pretty good for a gun of that size (although I'm sure a better shot could do much better with it). IMO its not that much harder to shoot than a 9mm.

The variety of ammo available is my only complaint. Sportsman's Warehouse near me has Winchester 230 gr FMJ and Federal 180 gr hydra-shoks and that's it .... The FMJ are fine for practicing but they're $21.00 or so for a box of 50. The price of the hydra-shoks make me go :shock: :shock: Way more expensive (at least there) than comperable 45 ACP's

There's another place near me that has Speer 200 gr hp's but my gun isn't as accurate with those as it is the Federals and Winchesters and the place doesn't have very convenient hours. Neither Dick's or Dunham's near me carry anything in 45 GAP.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Captn. One question. If you had known about the difficulty finding ammo, would you still have purchased the 39?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Airborne;

I think it is the price you pay for a new round.

I believe the consensus is that the Gap round averages about 150 to 200FPS faster than the standard 45ACP, but don't hold me to it.

Also as mentioned by captain some guns will like a particular bullet weight over another and you will have to shoot the particular gun you buy to see what if any difference there is in one vs another. But I am sure you already know this.

The cost of ammo is still pretty high when compared to the 45ACP as it is still a fairly new cartridge and I am not sure it is going to come down any time soon as the gun is not selling in great enough numbers to make a real difference in the amount of ammo on demand.

Add to it that their is no significant difference in the performance of the two and I believe most people who are the "big Bore" shooters are staying with or adding another ACP.

In addition you have all the custom stuff that has built over so many years for the ACP not yet available for the GAP and nearly everyone personalizes their gun after purchase so the custom stuff is BIG when making a decision for a new or additional firearm to a current inventory.

Purchase price is really no different from the ACP so that has not been a factor so far, but ammo cost along with customizing and as I said most people seem to choose to stay with the old work horse we have all known for so long.

Hope this helps or at least some more food for thought.

UF

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: re: Glock 38?

ArbrnInf said:
Thanks for the info Captn. One question. If you had known about the difficulty finding ammo, would you still have purchased the 39?
I've been thinking about this one for awhile, and I probably still would have. Like I said - I got a good deal on it. It shoots both the "cheap" (relative in this case) FMJ's and the hydra-shoks good. The price and availability of ammo hasn't kept me from shooting it - yet. Now if Sportsman's Warehouse suddenly decides to no longer carry any GAP ammo - I might change my mind if I have to start ordering it and paying shipping.

Reloading would probably be my best option (I know it has to be way cheaper), but brass is pretty hard to find for it as well, and really haven't looked into it further than that. I've been saving as much of my own brass as I can find just in case I do start some time in the future, but I currently don't do any metallic reloading so it would be a whole new set up. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input. I am a big fan of Glock pisols, and am also a big fan of 45's. That being said, the Glock 21 is just too big for me for concealed carry, and I was never as comfortable with the Glock 30 as I was with my Glock 23 in .40 cal. That being said, I have a kimber ultra covert on layaway right now, so I will have my .45. But since I am such a big fan of Glocks, I wanted another, but I think maybe for price of ammo sake I will just get another Glock 23 (I sold my previous 23 to a police officer). Again, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Starline produces GAP brass, and Midway carries it. Starline is awesome...glad someone produces bizarro brass.

That said, I'm a bit skeptical that GAP will hold on in the market...I have a feeling that in a few years it'll be what 10mm is now. We shall see...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think the one thing the 45 GAP has going for it over the 10mm is that some police agencies are supposedly switching to it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts